Check out the deepest-swimming fish ever caught on camera

You would only need a tank about 6 feet long, 2 feet from front to back and about 28,000 feet tall...........
Funny thing is that it could probably be done but would need a pressurized tank that I doubt any of us could afford. If I remember right there have been successes in bring deep dwellers to the surface by scientific research groups. LOL! If you have several millions of dollars to spare... go for it.

Still a cool looking fish and thanks for the post. :)

If I remember right there have been successes in bring deep dwellers to the surface by scientific research groups.
Indeed the Monterey Bay Aquarium currently has a display of deep sea fish and critters going currently. They even have giant deep sea isopods in a touch tank (one at a time, with volunteer oversight). Obviously not from this deep, but some critters can indeed be carefully brought up successfully. Who wouldn't want to pet this guy?!
1414203253_Deepseaisopod.JPG.e1acdee5f563433108c990c497c6b4b5.JPG

Indeed the Monterey Bay Aquarium currently has a display of deep sea fish and critters going currently. They even have giant deep sea isopods in a touch tank (one at a time, with volunteer oversight). Obviously not from this deep, but some critters can indeed be carefully brought up successfully. Who wouldn't want to pet this guy?!
1414203253_Deepseaisopod.JPG.e1acdee5f563433108c990c497c6b4b5.JPG
I've pet those before. Never for very long as the water is super freaking cold to keep them in.

Probably also works as a way of keeping people from harassing them too long! 🤪
LOL! I really like that but the truth is that deep sea water is normally below 0C or 32F. The water does not form into ice due to salinity and pressure. These deeps have evolved to where they actually need sub freezing temperatures to survive. That is no different than lives that live around volcanic vents and need Some of these vents reach temps of 867 °F yet life persists. Actually I question the statement of 867 °F but that just came from one source on a quick search. I suspect that MAY be a typo but DO know that there is live around vents that have temperatures above the boiling point of water.

You would only need a tank about 6 feet long, 2 feet from front to back and about 28,000 feet tall...........
Probably larger in width and length actually... And yah, I thought about that as well like @jaylach brought up, you COULD have a pressurized tank so you don't have it 28,000 feet tall.
But it would be super expensive... Like aquariums are really expensive as it is but that would be like REALLYYYY expensive

the truth is that deep sea water is normally below 0C or 32F
Not exactly. Water tends to be densest at 4C. As a result the abyssal plain tends to be around 4C (though flows and gradients can cause it to get to near 0C in particular areas and at particular times). The Hadal (deepest parts of the ocean) tends to be around 1 or 2C. At this depth there is adiabatic heating that occurs which can distort the otherwise anticipated gradient.

Not exactly. Water tends to be densest at 4C. As a result the abyssal plain tends to be around 4C (though flows and gradients can cause it to get to near 0C in particular areas and at particular times). The Hadal (deepest parts of the ocean) tends to be around 1 or 2C. At this depth there is adiabatic heating that occurs which can distort the otherwise anticipated gradient.
Thanks for the correction. :) I had just done a quick search and guess I picked the wrong link to peek. ;) Still a bit on the cool side. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back