Channa-ornatipinnis Have Laid Eggs..drawf Snakeheads

Gratz first captive breed of them wow! Are these now on a endangerd list somewhere I read something about these I think back in 2008 but not sure if it was these or not and love the pic of them they look very healthy
well they are from a small area and not very many are thought to live in the wild , they have not yet bred in the aquarium together with falling prices this is without doubt going to be putting excesive pressure on wild stocks , before we know it there will be no more left!! so hopefully this will be a big accheivement in there chances of survival as in people breeding them in tanks thus leaving the wild stock to recover from there ordeal

Congrats Nelly, will be watching this with interest :good:
Thanks mate iam so happy, now i have removed two which have turned white the others are just floating around so they do not fall into the gravel, there is one that will not leave them alone and watches with eagle eyes, I was informed there mouthbrooders.....Iam sumizing this is the male,only because hes very chucky and thick compered with the other which is skinier and slender.....I came home from work to discover this so did not witness anything :sad:

fantastic news I hope they are sucessful

I love channas and those look like beauties. I'm getting tired watching my channa at night believing they are pairing off so I'm a tad jealous!!!

good luck :good:

I love channas and those look like beauties. I'm getting tired watching my channa at night believing they are pairing off so I'm a tad jealous!!!

give them time, mine were swimming together for about 3-4weeks head to tail wrapping etc then today :shout:

give them time, mine were swimming together for about 3-4weeks head to tail wrapping etc then today :shout:

its the head to tail wrapping I haven;t had yet

my Oientalis seemed to have created a pair and I've a kind of yawning at each other whilst one is hiding a fair bit. I'd be made up if they did. ows your eggs?

still ok since i removed the two whites,.....mine only did that last night from what ive witnessed,,obviously today but i was at work,,Iam speaking with a great channa' breeder on another forum giving me great advise so will pass any on that he tells me :good:

Iam over the moon, but its caught me unaware......I have nowhere to raise the fry if the eggs do hatch but, Col said to me there mouthbrooder's but the

eggs are scattered at the top,mostly under the food ring, Maybe because its there 1st time they do not know what to do...or do they do this with the eggs

then take in the fry once they have hatched, Lets keep are fingers crossed that we actually get fry, that would be amazing, Any tips on what to do? leave the

light on as usual or turn it off and cover up tank, water changes or leave as is, i was told snakeheads do not like waterchanges very much............

This is great news to anyone who know's about snakeheads esp ornatipinnis as they have never ever breed in captivity before or so iam told by snakehead

exsperts so this is a first :hyper:

with out further ado i present to you pictures...............

022.jpg

021.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

017.jpg

Fantastic shots Nelly and so envious, if you want to rehome some of the little darlings then I'm here :blush:

:shout: Update the chunkier one<were calling male> is still there gaurding the area, when i lifted up the lid to check he took some in his mouth from the outer ring and moved to the inner ring, ive left everything as before to see what they do without being disturbed,,theres another two white ones.one is below the ring and the other is on the inner section, but think i wont bother them any more, mother nature and instints running this show

The loving couple still swimming around together....

919-1.jpg

Bear in mind i had just feed these guys with meal worms so little fat......Liitle annoyed flash has drained there colour so much, very difficult getting good pics without the flash :rolleyes:

The one iam calling male,always with the eggs and moving them
922.jpg

The one iam calling female, has nothing to do with it and is smaller/slimmer
921.jpg

The eggs are still there, they all changed position
918.jpg

male protecting the area from me mostly or mum if she gets to close he chases her back....
871.jpg

879.jpg

894.jpg

903.jpg

915.jpg

I do so hate to be the bearer of bad news but C ornatipinnis are proven mouthbrooders - R. Britz no less has caught holding males in the wild.

These Channa are displayng classic bubblenesting behaviours - mouthbrooders with failed spawns do not put their eggs in a nest and guard them, they eat them.

May I ask where you bought these fish? Pulchra are commonly misidentified as ornatipinnis, when the first shipments came in the large ones were labelled ornats and the small ones pulchras. I am not convinced yours are pulchra either, but if they are (and Heiko Bleher claims pulchra are bubblenesters) then they are not the first UK breeding.

Apologies, but you need to positively identify your channa.

In terms of care, it will depend on species. I suggest you do a fairly comprehensive search on a forum such as snakeheadsuk for more information.

Yes mate i have spoken exstensivly with colin from snakeheads uk,,,,,he and other's including the source from which these guys came from are all 100% possitive there ornatipinnis.............Colin has said that he knows they were found with fry in there mouths,,,,,,So how does this PROVE how they actually breed???? :unsure: , as no one has ever managed to breed them in captivity no one truely knows anything about there behaviour.......He has told me as hes kept these beauty's before and now has put his name to the list for fry if they hatch,,,,,,I can only go by what a snakehead forum mod has told me and everyone identified them as the same species......Iam sorry if its annoyed you but i wasnt trying to breed them

ps he has asked me to document every little thing they do even if i feels its nothing, what and how they react etc.....This is why iam doing this as otherwise i would have just said hey my snakeheads have bred heres some pictures......

can you not id them for me then please????????????????????????????????

Thanks for you imput mind much apprichiated,,,You may think iam being rude but i have sourced info since october last year and spoken with this person alot

Just cause fish are found with fry in their mouths does not 100% decide that they are mouthbrooders, they could have been captured whilst moving fry from one area to another.

Until aquarium breeding is done no one can tell positively that they are mouth brooders or egg layers, that is why Nelly's photographic evidence is not only looked forward to but could prove very useful for other channi breeders.

Keep up the good work Nelly and carry on with the photo's, they are great. :flowers:

Thank you :good: do you know i have a list as long as your arm for fry :lol: see what happens 1st eh :hey:
Do you know what i had totally forgotten about the wild betta's......Mush in Ireland has decided after all that to go with a veil tail from lfs :rolleyes: so if we messed you around iam soooooo sorry, I will never look for anyone else again cos when they leave me high and dry i look stupid,,,so thanks and sorry Amerce :blush: :good:

Yes i plan to photograph this spawning to see what occours.......

Its only i have a number of people who keep these guys and experts who moderate another snakehead forum and also kept these guys himself his pictures look the same, Hes told me they are and if fry hatch he wants some to start his own breeding project so iam left in the wind.....I have tried joining snakeheads uk but it will not register me

No problems Nelly but "I" have to apologise to YOU, cause the other guy came forward with the money and the fish were posted off Monday !!! :lol:

Must be old age on my part, not sure what your excuse is though.

As for snakeheads uk maybe you can contact a mod to find out if it is your email addy that is being blocked, certain addy's are not accepted ?

Good luck and carry on with the photo's.

This i have quoted from brucki on another forum who has kept 9 pulchra...."ornatipinnis have big black spots on the head, whereas pulchra has only tiny spots."
heres a picture of pulchra,as you can see smaller spots on face very similar looking esp when younger
pulchra533.jpg

this is taken from practical fish keeping<looks like mine with larger spots
britz_channa_orn_juv.jpg

taken from wildwoods
channa-ornatipinnis-14.jpg

mine mine mine
922.jpg

any idea how long it will take for them to hatch (if they ever do), i assume you will have to seperate them from the adults when they hatch?

i cant wait to see the results of this....will keep watching with hope! :good:

I have no idea but a enthusiast i have been chatting to says to me to leave well alone and let them get on with it and see where it takes you, this is unknown terratory :unsure: But apparently snakeheads usually are ok left with there fry male protects and they can even produce another spawn and also rear them at the same time,,,,Only problem is as fry grow they become canabalisitic<only the strong survive.......I have been following a thread on another forum which someone has bred Channa Pulchra & Fry is doing great with two batch's now on the go.......
Not sure but we have another member on here called jelly who keeps some stunning snakeheads,,think he has bred snakeheads before....

Most reactions

Back