Changing the filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Homepets

Reaction score
I have got a fish'r'fun 13gal hex tank which came as a kit with the filter included - please can you tell me how often I have to change the filter and how I know when to do it? - or do I just have to rinse it??? :huh:

Am not familiar with that tank and filter, but it is best to rinse the filter in part of the old fish tank water, rather than replace it or stick it under a tap.

This is because you don't want the useful (the ones that turn ammonium to nitrite then nitrite to nitrate) bacteria in the filter to die.

Homepets:

Can you describe your filter so we can help you better. If it has a set of sponges you will need to clean them in old tank water every couple of weeks depending on how dirty they look. You may need to change some of the sponges once every couple of months once they become clogged.

Yes - you will have to bear with me on the technical terms!

It is a black plastic box divided into 2 sections approx 1/4 and 3/4. The first 1/4 has some black balls in it with sort of horizontal gaps in them. The second section has some small stones in a fine net, wrapped around this is some, and I am assuming, sponge, which is white and looks similar to the stuff that cushions are stuffed with.

Does that description make any sense? :/

oh i see what kind of filter it is. you can rinse it, but if it is to dirty, you should get a replacement cartridge. i would replace it once every month or even multiple times a month. I dont know depends on how dirty it gets. If you do rinse it make sure to rinse it with some of the water from the tank. To get the replacement cartridge, get the filter name and model and go to your local lfs and ask for the replacement.

for the sponge you simply squeez out the crap in old tank water every waterchange untill it doesn't spring bac and the floss u just put it in the bin when it goes black or something like that and if ur using carbon then u just bin it after about 2 weeks and u only use carbon once a month. anything else.

my web link should help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back