Changing filter sponge

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Shnookina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How often should i change the sponge in my filter? I know about you should leave a little bit of the old sponge in with the new because of the cycle thing.

I change my filter sponge every 6 months - only change one piece at a time. Is it an internal filter or just an air driven sponge filter

now that i really can't say as i don't know the dif between them all i can tell you is that its a fluval 3

right so its an internal filter - in the fluvals there are usually two pieces of spnoge medium and a nitrate pad.
What I do with my Fluval 2 plus is to either take one of the main filter pads out and rinse it thoroughly in OLD TANK WATER (very important). Or eventually when it has had its day change one filter pad completely and allow a few months of running before doing the other one.
By doing this you dont affect the cycle to much and it gives the new/clean filter pad time to build a bacteria colony in it.

Hope this helps

this is going to sound lame lol I only had a quick look in the filter when i got it and there are 2 brown sponges in the sides and the white one in the middle, so the one in the middle is the one i change?

How old is the filter - How long have you had it running in the current tank setup.
You shouldnt need to change the filter pads for a fair few months.
You will over time need to replace all of the filter pads but only change them one at a time. If you change the white one in the middle first then in a few months time change one fo the brown ones.
MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU DONT CHANGE THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME

Hi Shnookina

I have a Fluval +3 in one of my tanks, the 2 brown pads are the normal sponges, sounds like their either quite old or very dirty as they are normally an off white colour. The pad inbetween is an additional fpolyester filter media, which is supposed to further filter the water. I would remove it, it doesn't make much difference and the filter gets clogged very quickly with one of these inserted.

Apart from that, jimw13uk has said, clean/replace one sponge at a time and use tank water for the cleaning.

thankyou but i think i'm going to replace this one anyway, it is rather old as i had it second had with the tank.

Any recomendations for a new filter? whats the best one to have?

I prefer the Eheim external canister types. get a self primeing one though. They can be quite expensive compared to other manufacturers but I've been using Eheims for years and they are value for money and spare parts are not a problem to obtain.
Hope this is of some help..

External Cannister filters are generally considered to be better as theuy are easier to maintain and don't take up room in your tank. They are quite expensive though and if you're on a budget (most of us are) The Fluval + range are very good value for money, I use them in both my tanks.

I have a +3 and a +2 in my 55gal and 2 +2's in my 20gal. I don't really need 2 in each tank but i like to be over-filtered to maintain crystal clear water.

Ferris said:
I have a Fluval +3 in one of my tanks, the 2 brown pads are the normal sponges, sounds like their either quite old or very dirty as they are normally an off white colour. The pad inbetween is an additional fpolyester filter media, which is supposed to further filter the water. I would remove it, it doesn't make much difference and the filter gets clogged very quickly with one of these inserted.
I found a site that sells all the sponges for it so lets see if i got this right:

There are 2 foam inserts on either side and its polyester that goes in the middle, are you sure you don't need the middle one?

The middle one isnt essential but it wont hurt to replace it either.
In mine the middle pad is a Nitrte pad and I always leave it in.
In fact I replace that one every month or so but thats personal choice. The filter didnt come with one but they are sold as spares so I bought a bunch and always use them.

The middle pad is not essential, IMO they make little difference and need changing regularly as they clogg the filter.

Most reactions

Back