Central American cichlid stocking

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 55 gallon tank and am thinking about rather a pair of jewels or a Central American tank. I really want to include Some Convict cichlids what would be a suitable stocking for this.

If you do the Jewels go for the Turkana Jewels, quite a new species in the hobby but not impossible to find. Really bright colours but also meant to be more peaceful than regular Jewels.

If you go down the Central American route, do 2 pairs/ groups of calm Centrals. My first choice would be something like a group of Amatitlania Nanoluteus (Yellow Convicts) with a pair of Rainbow Cichlids. I think this would yield good results and you get some lovely fish :) I'd pair that with some livebearers and some Rubberlip Plecos (I'm assuming you have harder water with this btw).

Wills

Jewels are soft water (except Turkana Jewels), centrals are hard water. What is your water like?

Jewels are soft water (except Turkana Jewels), centrals are hard water. What is your water like?
My water is generally hard. Due to me being in Australia it makes it basically impossible for me to get turkana jewels as much as I would love too.

Most reactions

Back