Catfish - what do they eat ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

conks

Reaction score
Bit worried for my two new catfish.

They're sharing a tank with 7 barbs and they spend all their time hiding under a rock.

They don't get a look in at meal times and I never see them so I'm not entirely sure whether they're eating or not ?

I've heard that they normally eat what's on the bottom of the tank and "clean" the tank ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Catfish is about as vague as saying fish. What kind? Cories? Plecos? Typical catfish like Channels or Bulls? If they're Cories then they'll eat off the bottom, sinking pellets like algae wafers or anything specifically meant to sink for bottom dwellers. They like frozen food too though that can be a problem if there are other fish and the food doesn't sink.

Depending on the species catfish eat anything from algea and tiny micro organisms from the water to whole fish and even people, as teelie says what species are your catfish?

Teelie said:
Catfish is about as vague as saying fish. What kind? Cories? Plecos? Typical catfish like Channels or Bulls? If they're Cories then they'll eat off the bottom, sinking pellets like algae wafers or anything specifically meant to sink for bottom dwellers. They like frozen food too though that can be a problem if there are other fish and the food doesn't sink.

My Catfish are Plecostomus version !

So what do you reckon then ?

Most of the Plecos are vegetarian or algae eaters. Some are carnivorous so they'd eat meaty foods but generally those are more expensive and for more experienced owners and not commonly found.

Go with the algae wafers and fresh vegetables though. Lettuce, zuccini and other green vegetables are the best for them.

Ok, they are mostly nocturnal so its normal for them to hide under a rock. they might appreciate bogwood. they like cucumber as a treat (need to weigh it down) and they need pellets that sink.

They get very very big.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back