Catfish For A 30 Gallon

ctsv510

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank cycling next to my 75 gallon and am going to move a gold gourami and possibly 4 giant danios from the 75 to the 30. It's a 30 gallon long so it's 36" long (about 90cm) rather than the standard 30".

I'd like to keep some catfish because I've never had any except plecos, but I can't decide what is best for this new tank. I know a lot of catfish eventually get too large for this tank, but they could eventually be moved to the 75 gallon if necessary. I was thinking about 4 upside down cats because they seem playful and interesting.

The substrate is black sand, so a lighter species would be more visible, but I'm pretty much open to anything. The tank is still cycling so I have a couple weeks before I need to make a decision. Any recommendations?

Also, I was looking at pictus catfish but I am finding too much conflicting information about their full size. I have read anywhere from a max size of 5" to a max size of 10".

Pictus are active, social fish, and a 30 is really too small for a group of them. Corydoras catfish are better suited to that size tank. The common upside-down cats (S. nigriventris) would work, though they aren't particularly visible aside from feeding time. Hillstream loaches are also an interesting option if you have good water circulation.

Ya cories n Nigriventis(upside down catfish) would be a good choice for that size tank. Tho the nigriventis are nocturnal. I love bumblebee catfish (microglanis Iheringi) even tho theyre quite nocturnal. just cant add to my big fish. here's a video of my old Bumblebees. Have a look at Debauwi catfish too, I heard theyre diurnal

{media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMW00h1Zgkg[/media]

Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus) are great for tanks this size.

I have a 30 gallon tank cycling next to my 75 gallon and am going to move a gold gourami and possibly 4 giant danios from the 75 to the 30. It's a 30 gallon long so it's 36" long (about 90cm) rather than the standard 30".

I'd like to keep some catfish because I've never had any except plecos, but I can't decide what is best for this new tank. I know a lot of catfish eventually get too large for this tank, but they could eventually be moved to the 75 gallon if necessary. I was thinking about 4 upside down cats because they seem playful and interesting.

The substrate is black sand, so a lighter species would be more visible, but I'm pretty much open to anything. The tank is still cycling so I have a couple weeks before I need to make a decision. Any recommendations?

Please do not put Giant Danios in such a small tank as a 30g long, they need space to swim and they are active swimmers that love current near the water surface. They need to stay in your 75g or be rehomed.

Catfish that could work in a 30g long...

Glass Catfish (K. minor)
Porthole Catfish
"Debauwi" Catfish
Shadow Catfish
Most Corydoras with the exceptions of spoecies like Brochis multiradiatus that appreciate deep (24"+) water
The small social Synodontis catfish (nigriventris, flavitaeniata) and their smaller Microsynodontis cousins <----- Think more on the lines of 8+ rather than 4, much more likely to see them
African Bumblebee Catfish from teh Microglanis genus

I had a couple of pictus catfish in a tank similar sized, and they teamed up and terrorised everyone and everything. I eventually had to move them to a friends much larger tank, and now they leave everyone alone. Such a shame I had to give them away, they're beautiful fish and amazing to watch. I now have a peppered cory and Bristlenose catfish that do very well in the tank. Maybe look into those :)

100% agree with Nobody of the Goat :) Good suggestions and advice on the Giant Danios 36 inches is not really big enough for Danios.

To be fair though if you like the metalic look to Pictus the "Debauwi" Catfish would be a good one to find :)

Wills

Most reactions

Back