Catfish feeding video

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wow,
that is one mean fish how did you get that vid??
i think that it is quite natural because that is sometimes how they would feed in the wild

You guys. Its nature. If you want to whine at someone for it, whine at god or whoever. Just becuase whatever is being fed is something that you keep/have kept/would keep as a pet doesn't make it cruel. I've kept rats as pets and I love them. Do I cry and yell at snake/large reptile owners for feeding their pets? No. Someone made a video of their pet eatting because they thought it was interesting, not because they get off on torturing goldfish. If you're really going to be all PETA-esque, then I suggest not keeping fish as pets at all, its not natural for them to be trapped in a glass tank being fed flakes only when you say they can. And guess what those flakes are made up of? FISH! And I'm sure those millions of fish used to make your fish flakes were killed humanely making sure that none of them felt any pain at all. In a giant blender.

You guys. Its nature ...
thing is severina, it's not nature.

scenario 1

tiger in 30 foot x 30 foot cage. a deer is put in cage. tiger kills / eats deer. NOT nature as neither tiger nor deer is in its natural habitat or even a replication of their natural habitat, tiger doesn't have to stalk / chase deer and deer has nowhere to run / hide.

scenario 2

tiger in 1000 acre national park. a deer is put in the park. tiger kills / eats deer after stalking and chasing it. deer had an opportunity to escape but didn't make it. THAT'S nature.

you're right if thinking us keeping fish in an aquarium isn't nature, it ain't, but most of us try to make the environment within our tanks as natural and stress-free as possible. dropping live bait into an environment like that (small tank, nowhere to hide) isn't replicating nature in any shape or form.

Cheeky, do you want to give the goldfish a chance to swim away (which is not possible in any tank) or would you want your pet to eat and live? Yeah it wasn't fair to the goldfish in the video. It was even less fair for the fish that make up your fish food. Its not fair to the cows and chickens (and fish) that you eat, but are you going to tell me that eating them isn't natural?

Never said that it was a natural environment, but it *IS* for a fact: nature.

Phoenix: When I came across this thread, the subject was/is "Catfish feeding video: Eatting live goldfish" or something to that effect (dunno, I can't see it now) and even if that hadn't been the case, it is the most rediculous thing to be upset about.

Anyway, I'm off my soapbox...if anyone would like to continue, please PM me.

just a point: i personally don't like seeing things get eaten alive. makes me queasy. thus i didn't watch the video. probably, if you're going to get upset over a video of a live feeding, then probably you shouldn't click links to videos of live feedings. this isn't a cut-and-dried rule, but i think it has some merit as a suggestion.

that is so mean!!! i dont agree with feeding live food!!
especially gold fish!

Just my two cents...

The scenario that was presented - one big mouth and two goldfish with nowhere to go - is cruel and sadistic, plain and simple. Talk about nature all you like but they were stuck in a tiny little partition with hardly any room to move.

No, it did not upset me, but it did not excite me either. Were I watching a video of the fish in its natural environment stalking prey I might have found it interesting.

And then we can go on to why the person even taped it.... and exactly what satisfaction is gained from watching it... and how many sat through all of the slow motion version?

Maybe next we can stick the person who taped this in with the sharks at the london aquarium and tape that? Now talk about interesting!

The title did pretty much explain what the content of the video was going to be, you then had the option of clicking a link to see the "Catfish feeding video" and clearly stating it was live goldfish.

Anyone who would find that cruel or disturbing then dont click the link?.....you must have clicked the link to watch the video so what were you expecting?

I have no opinion either way on the matter, I feed no live food to any fish or reptile Ive ever kept as it has no benefits to the fish and reptiles Ive kept but if some fish do benefit from it Im not against the keeper feeding it whatever live food it needs.

I wouldnt keep a fish that needed to be fed live food (if such a fish exists) but I wouldnt condem another for doing so.

i feel sorry for that catfish, look at the size tank its in!!

I really liked those goldfish, was sad to see it die :(

big_mick: Yes, I knew exactly what the content was and yes I still watched it. Like I said, it did not upset me. But whether I watched it or not, and whether it upset me or not does not change the fact that it was cruel and unnecessary.

Give me the option to watch someone being thrown to lions. I might watch it, I might not. But it will still be cruel and sick, whether I watch it or not.

omg that other goldfish must have been petrified! It just saw its friend eaten and it had nowhere to go. Personally i think it was cruel on the goldfish, and as chismr said, its not as bad if it's in the wild, but enclosed in a tank with that fish would have been terrible for the goldfish, for they were waiting for death to come. They were really pretty goldfish as well! :(

Most reactions

Back