Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Canister filters – Aquael, Eheim or Fluval

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Icemist, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Icemist

Icemist New Member

Hi,

I am after some recommendations for Canister filters. I want to over filter the tank.

I have a 250 litre tank running a few discus.

I am looking at a new filter and was considering:

Aquael Unimax 500;

Fluval 306 or 406; or

Eheim Classic 2217 (600).

Especially interested in comments on the Unimax 500.

Thanks in advance

2. Byron

Byron Member

Eheim has the track record for quality and reliability. I have two Eheim Pro II canisters that have been running continuously for 20+ years now. I had a Rena Filstar during this time, which I used for six years. It did the job, I suppose, but how much longer it would have lasted I can't say. Of the three (Eheim, Rena, Fluval) most reports have rated them from first to last in that order. Rena by the way is now made by API. The Aquamel I know nothing about, but I cannot see it holding up to Eheim.

I am interested why you want (or think you can) over filter? There is no benefit, and it is not really technically possible. We can add more or larger filters, but that is not going to make things better, and may do quite the opposite. This is an involved topic so I won't detail for the moment unless asked. Other factors that are not mentioned are also part of the equation.