Canister filters – Aquael, Eheim or Fluval

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Icemist

Reaction score
Hi,

I am after some recommendations for Canister filters. I want to over filter the tank.

I have a 250 litre tank running a few discus.

I am looking at a new filter and was considering:

Aquael Unimax 500;

Fluval 306 or 406; or

Eheim Classic 2217 (600).

Especially interested in comments on the Unimax 500.

Thanks in advance

Eheim has the track record for quality and reliability. I have two Eheim Pro II canisters that have been running continuously for 20+ years now. I had a Rena Filstar during this time, which I used for six years. It did the job, I suppose, but how much longer it would have lasted I can't say. Of the three (Eheim, Rena, Fluval) most reports have rated them from first to last in that order. Rena by the way is now made by API. The Aquamel I know nothing about, but I cannot see it holding up to Eheim.

I am interested why you want (or think you can) over filter? There is no benefit, and it is not really technically possible. We can add more or larger filters, but that is not going to make things better, and may do quite the opposite. This is an involved topic so I won't detail for the moment unless asked. Other factors that are not mentioned are also part of the equation.

Im not sure if you have already purchased your new filter but I went through the same debate myself & ended up buying the Fluval 406 external filter... It came down to price & reviews. As much as I wanted to buy the Eheim I wasn't finding much difference between reviews with people being happy with both & The Fluval seemed to have an easier set up & was about $60 cheaper?

Set up was so easy, it took less than 20min & the prime function was so easy to use (no sucking the end of a pipe like id seen on the Eheim reviews)

The second reason I went for the fluval over price was how many people had said how quiet it was and I'm actually shocked, its like a whisper. I put my hand over the output pipe to even check it was working!

Its been nothing but positive reviews from me and I'm really excited about potentially moving my tank to a more central location now that the filter noise isn't an issue.

Hope this helped :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back