Canister Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dancaraya

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon planted tank - right now I have a power filter. Thinking of making a switch to a canister filter. Few questions:

1 - how big of a filter should I get?
2 - is there a way to "pre-cycle" my filter so that my whole tank won't cycle again after removing the power filter?
3 - should I remove the carbon from the canister filter? I removed it from my power filter.

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

1.One that turns over the volume of the tank between five and ten times per hour, depending on what sort of stocking you have.

2. Put all the media from your current filter into the canister, then fill up the rest of the space with new. Try and spread it out so it's touching the new media, so the bacteria spread more easily. You can start removing the old media, gradually, after a couple of months if you want to (I leave it in there, so I can use it in the old filter later, if the new one breaks down, or I need a hospital or quarantine tank in a hurry).

3. Yes, I would. Save it if you need it for something; removing excess tannins or medications is all I can think of.

Hope that helps :)

Before deciding on a filter, consider the type of fish you intend.

I have two 29g tanks among my 8, and both have dual sponge filters which is more than sufficient for my quiet fish. If you need a water current, as for a Hillstream loach or some of the fast-water plecos, then a canister would be a better choice.

Plants generally mean less biological filtration is needed. You should after all be able to manage with no filter at all. I like sponge filters because they are just about the best water clarifiers, with some but not much water current resulting.

How planted is this tank? I would be inclined to just replace the filter and let the plants take up the ammonia, which they are probably doing most of anyway.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back