Candycane Tetras

Rafael Dilone

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well today at my LFS i bought some Candycane tetras. I never herd of these fishes before. But before buying them I ask about there water parameters and they prefer soft water and a ph of 6.8-7.2. So after i talked more with them about the fish i decided to buy it. Also the main reason i bought it is because it is a rare tetra and because they have very interesting coloring. So can anyone add anything about this fish.

Probably Hyphessobrycon bentosi. Typical blood tetra form, pinkish-orange body, pink to red fins with white tips on the leading rays of the pelvic and anal fins, a high dorsal with a large white tip, often droops a little. Small black tips on the extremeties of the caudal and edge to anal. Males with more extended fins then females. Sound about right?

If so, then their care is the same as any other similar tetra, they prefer softer water with a neutral to slightly acidic pH but are not overly fussy. Eat well. Need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, when so, is a docile species. Like all tetras, can nip and being front toothed, can do a lot of damage.

I wouldn't call them rare however.

Probably Hyphessobrycon bentosi. Typical blood tetra form, pinkish-orange body, pink to red fins with white tips on the leading rays of the pelvic and anal fins, a high dorsal with a large white tip, often droops a little. Small black tips on the extremeties of the caudal and edge to anal. Males with more extended fins then females. Sound about right?

If so, then their care is the same as any other similar tetra, they prefer softer water with a neutral to slightly acidic pH but are not overly fussy. Eat well. Need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, when so, is a docile species. Like all tetras, can nip and being front toothed, can do a lot of damage.

I wouldn't call them rare however.
Well I have had cardinal tetras for 2 years now and I never had any problems with them. But the candycane tetras I just got may not be rare in other parts of the world but where I am from they are very hard to come by. Also they were very expensive in my opinion when I bought them. They were $7.89 each. But my LFS has very healthy fishes and spending a bit more money to have healthy fishes is not a big sacrifice. Thanks for the info.

By any chance, did you get them at Pacific? I'm sure I've seen them a few times there.

I don't remember what they look like, but thoughts of painted/dyed fish keeps popping into my head.

By any chance, did you get them at Pacific? I'm sure I've seen them a few times there.

I don't remember what they look like, but thoughts of painted/dyed fish keeps popping into my head.
Yes I did get them at Pacific Aquarium. That is my LFS. It is quite far from where I live, buts its the only good store around. So I am guessing you are from New York.

Yep. Pacific's okay, they get some rarer species something, but their prices are crazy-expensive as you already know.

So was LL right on what they were? http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12378
Yea there prices are rather expensive. The day I bought the candycane tetras they had silver arowanas for 600 dollars. Now thats crazy. Also a long time ago they were selling a red Arowana for $6,000. But they do have a wide selection of fishes on the bright side :rolleyes:

Yeah, they do have a good selection sometimes. It was actually the first place I saw the Celestial Pearl Danios. They had like a hundred of them, think it was about $8-9 each.

There's another store nearby called Win Aquarium. They're quite the opposite - they stock the commonly-seen fishes, but their prices are great.

Yeah, they do have a good selection sometimes. It was actually the first place I saw the Celestial Pearl Danios. They had like a hundred of them, think it was about $8-9 each.

There's another store nearby called Win Aquarium. They're quite the opposite - they stock the commonly-seen fishes, but their prices are great.
So I am guessing you are from New York. What part anyway. The pacific you are talking about is in delancy street right. just to make sure we are on the same page. Also have you seen the stores planted tank recently. I have to say it is a magnificent planted tank.

I'm in Brooklyn. And yep, that's the Pacific I'm talking about.

I haven't been there in awhile. I know there's a huge planted tank at the front of the store - is that the one you're speaking of? I think it had marimo on upright driftwood sticks that looked like trees.

Yea thats the planted tank I am speaking of. But they seem to change the tank all the time. At one point it did have marimo on upright driftwood sticks that looked like trees, but last time I went it was heavily planted. I usually go visit there every month to pick up some live and frozen foods. I live in the bronx and the aquarium stores around here are petland and petco and the employees know nothing about fishes. That is why I go to Pacific. Also petland and petco barely carry any fishes and they are almost all the time in terrible shape.

I'll probably give it a visit next week. Do they really sell live food? Few LFS in the city seem to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back