Cancer In Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Berrier71

Reaction score
I was reading that swordtail tropical fish have cancerous cells in any black pigment. They especially noted in the article I read... the ones from central America which have the black fins on top. these are live bearers, altough I am posting it here since your livebearer section seemed more relevant to breeding questions. Are there other markers to look for? I breed my tropical fish for fun, but do not want to be irresponsible and breed babies that will die in 7 months from a tumor which the article mentioned---the article was from a science mag but posted online. I just could not find any pics of sick ones versus healthy ones--I searched the internet trying to find pictures of the ones to avoid versus swordtails that have black but are not at risk and I could not find any pictures.

I recently set up a tank that is rather friendly since I have no aggressives nor any semi-aggressives even. It is about a 50 gallon I got second hand, yet recently our swords had a baby. (It is so cute!!!) Anyway so I go to the store to get her a pal, as in my experience they do better when they have a mate, and I got several fish---some angels, which I adore, but more importantly, I got some males and one female swordtail---now it is no big thing as these guys are really beginner fish, but I just happen to like them and the red baby is the cutest baby I have had in a tank in some time!! Anyway, the baby is a product of parents who are mostly orange--the male having a red stripe marking and female mainly orange, yet the new ones I bought are black on their back ends and their tales, unlike my older pair, are solid black without being striped with orange or whatever. The info I read mainly pointed out that any black pigment had cancerous cells, although the ones they say are cancerous to the point where the fish will die in about 7 months from a tumor, they said had solid black fins. Because I could not find a picture, my question is this: My new ones have black in their fins, yet it is not solid black pigment, AND they have solid black tails (the males) without other colours like my original male has (half black and half orange tail). So will I have an issue with these guys or not? Is it ONLY the solid black finned ones that we have to worry about, and moreover, what about the male tails? Igf they are not mixed with any other colour, is that an issue? It sounds strange to me that fish can have cancer, although I do not know why given that I am educated and know that most animals can have similar diseases to us....but does anyone know more about this in swordtail fish and what to look for? I do enjoy breeding these guys, and I do not want to be irresponsible and breed them together if it would bring out a recessive black trait from the parents and have babies that are doomed at birth! My regular email is [email protected] if you want to write directly. I am in Tucson and often have babies that I trade or often give away---my black mollie, who is actually a female dalmation mollie, has babies like a rabbit, and I read where they can save sperm, which explains alot---I had separated her so she could not get pregnant as I had too many and then she got pregnant!! I was like, what in the hell??? Then I read where they can do that!! So if anyone lives near Tucson and would like to trade babies or share my hobby with me, please write if you would like,. Yet I am very interested in this black pigment cancer thing with the swordtails if anyone could provide more info before I breed them. I need to know what to look for other than the solid black fins on their tops....thanks! Laura B

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back