Can You Have Corys With Gravel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I love corys and wanted 3 little ones but I have gravel. Would they be ok with gravel?

I don't think it is good to keep corys on gravel as it damages there barbels. So I would say No.

It's possible to keep corys on gravel; I did it myself for many years. However, after moving mine into a tank with a sand substrate, I will never, ever, put a cory on gravel again.

I honestly don't think they can be truly happy kept on gravel; they need sand.

I have 2 bronze corries and 1 albino,with coloured chunky gravel, which isn`t sharp,how differently do the corries act when there`s sand in the aquarium ,and how can you tell that they`re happier?

I had my cory's on rounded gravel and the peppered's never seemed to have a problem with it but the Panda and Julii did. I now have my cory's on sand and they seem to really enjoy nosing around in the sand all the time. All my cory's have lovely long healthy barbels and even my recently rescued peppered is growing nice healthy barbels again after having them nearly all of them totally worn off. The only problem I have had with having sand is the cory's find it so much easier to undermine my planting, causing newly planted plants to float around the tank, that is why I see small flat peices of slate as my friend, as I use it to anchor any new plants until they can get their roots established. I also have some rounded gravel mixed with the sand, it's not a huge amount and usually it is buried by the sand, unless the cory's have a particularly busy time nosing around over that section of the tank.

When they're on sand the corys really dig into it; I mean bury the whole of their noses in it and rake through it, moving their snouts from side to side. If I've cleaned my tank and the sand is all smooth, I'll get up in the morning and it's all covered in little dimples where they've been digging into it.

This is what I mean; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTB0hrRvbMY

I know 'happiness' is difficult thing to quantify with something like a fish; I suppose what I mean is; I can see why they evolved to be the shape they are and have barbels and it so obviously comes naturally to them to root around in the sand like that.

It's sort of hard to explain unless you've seen it, but I strongly believe that animals should be able to express their natural behaviours, and for corys, that's being able to dig in sand.

Please don't think I'm accusing anyone who keeps corys on gravel of cruelty, or anything like that; it's far more subtle than that! As I've said, I kept them on gravel for years and they seemed 'happy'. I just think it's better for them to be on sand; something that we should aim for.

Yes, they can uproot plants in sand, but like Baccus, I have a few handfuls of gravel around my plants to keep them down until they've settled in.

I personally would never use gravel with corys again,has mentioned the corys do act differently with sand has opposed to gravel,and if the want for a better word,are tons happier than when i had gravel.
Mine root around in the sand and if you watch closely you can see the corys sifting sand through their gills,hunting for any tasty morsels :)

The downfall on gravel is if its too sharp and pointy is may damage the corys barbels,their barbels are what they hunt food out with,so obviously damage to these may affect their long term health,plus bacteria can build up between the gravel causing the corys to possibly getting bacterial infections.

It's possible to keep corys on gravel; I did it myself for many years. However, after moving mine into a tank with a sand substrate, I will never, ever, put a cory on gravel again.

I honestly don't think they can be truly happy kept on gravel; they need sand.

+1

i would say no but if you are getting them then get 4 they like being in groups of 4 or more i have them my self

My Pandas have half gravel half sand in there current tank and they spend most there time on the sand sifting through it. i am planning on having a move around to get them in a full sand tank with my Pygmys :good:

Hi ,at the moment my tank is going through a fish in cycle[due to being given the wrong info at petshop],was thinking of either replacing my coloured gravel for half sand or the whole lot ,but just wondered how easy is it to keep clean,as i`m worried about the build up of ammonia and nitrates also with my daily water changes?.
And i`ve also got 2 armano shrimp,will they like the sand too.My tank is only 28 l at moment ,but i am planning on getting a bigger one,and i`ve got 1 albino and 2 bronze corries ,4 glowlight tetra ,and 2 armano shrimp.So will they like it too,and does everyone think to change the gravel to sand now or wait until my tanks cycled,and full or half ,sorry for all the questions,but i`m still new at this :sad:

Also how easy is it to change whilst the fish are still in the tank?

Thanks for the replies, I did see them in the shop sticking their noses in the sand so I thought sand would be best. I won't be getting any now as it's not fair on them.

Don't worry about asking loads of questions, maisy; we're all here to help each other :)

Sand is just as easy, if not easier to keep clean than gravel. It takes a few trys to get used to syphoning up the crud without sucking up too much sand, but even then, you just wash the sand in your bucket and pop it back in when you're done. The big advantage is that all the dirt sits on top of sand rather than falling down through the gaps like it does with gravel.

There's no bacteria to speak of in your substrate, so changing won't affect your cycle at all.

Your shrimp will be fine on sand too.

If you want to change with fish in, it can be done. I'd do half the tank at a time. You must make sure the sand is really, really well washed if you're not taking the fish out of course! Just scoop the gravel out with an old margarine or ice cream container (ALL fishkeepers should keep a few of those on hand; they're so useful!) or you could syphon the gravel (and the crud that's hiding in it!) out with a piece of wide bore pipe, like hosepipe or something. Then fill your margarine tub up with sand, carefully lower it in and tip it out.

I recently changed half a three foot tank from gravel to sand (I only had a thin layer of gravel though, so I didn't take it out; I just pushed it all to the sides!) 'cos I thought my zebra loaches would probably be happier and it took only half an hour or so, and that includes rearranging and replanting (the sand was already washed mind you)

Thanks for the reply Fluttermoth,but will there be a problem doing my daily 50 percent water changes,when i pour the water in will the sand go everywhere and how deep should i put it?
As your video has convinced me that my corries will be happier on sand ,and i know this sounds silly but any particular sort?

Most reactions

trending

Back