Can You Have Cherry Shrimp With A Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding cherry shrimp with my male betta when I get him but don't know if they can go together or not. Anyone know?

Yes shrimp are generally excellent tankmates for bettas, along with cories, because they are peaceful and stay on the bottom levels :)

Cool I knnew they were peacful but was worried maybe the Betta might see them as a nice snack lol.

I shouldnt think so, someone else could clarify please?

Altohugh if you have weak shrimp they tend to be simgled out, i bought two shrimp from my lfs, one of them had something wrong with it, it couldnt control where it went, so it just floated about, and because it couldnt move my cories saw it as a snack and sucked its out eyes out :(

Most people dont recommend cherry shrimp with betta fish.

I have them with mine and he is ok; at the end of the day it depends on your betta's personality. Some will try to eat them; others won't.

I definately haven't had babies though :(.

Most people dont recommend cherry shrimp with betta fish.

I have them with mine and he is ok; at the end of the day it depends on your betta's personality. Some will try to eat them; others won't.

I definately haven't had babies though :(.

Thanks for the advice. Is there any other type of shrimp suitable? Maybe a lightly bigger type?

Amano shrimp are bigger but I have no experience with them; ghost shrimp too

I have my betta with red cherry shrimp and and bumble bee shrimp but they are both the same size.

I don't think it would make a difference what size shrimp you have when it comes to baby shrimp.

I have my betta with red cherry shrimp and and bumble bee shrimp but they are both the same size.

I don't think it would make a difference what size shrimp you have when it comes to baby shrimp.

Hmmm dunno what to do now lol. Do you find shrimp interesting? Do you see much of them?

Hmmm dunno what to do now lol. Do you find shrimp interesting? Do you see much of them?

Shrimp are a bit odd; they remind me of spiders with all their legs but on the whole they are quite alright. I do like them and I see mine nearly all the time. The thing with shrimp is that if they are scared they'll hide, I originally had some in with my newts and they hid all the time but these lot in with the fish are ok - they poke him with their 'feelers'. He does chase them occasionally but on the whole they are fine and they are out 99% of the time. But if you betta were to chase them all of the time I imagine they'd hide. If you want to try some; then get a couple and give it a go.

I'm wanting something for the bottom of my tank but was told I couldn't have 3 albino cories in there are 21 litres was too small so that's when I thought of shrimp.

I'm wanting something for the bottom of my tank but was told I couldn't have 3 albino cories in there are 21 litres was too small so that's when I thought of shrimp.

Shrimp would be ok size wise.

You could get a snail to go in, most people will say it's too small for a snail BUT so long as you clean it regularly then you'll be ok. Snails are messy. I have a nerite snail and he makes abuot 100000x times more mess than all of the aquatic life put together. Apple snails are good and they are less messy than my nerite. You could always get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) and they'll breed in your tank but so long as you don't overfeed they won't breed too much. They grow about 2cm-3cm in length and if you have sand they bury in it and aerate it and you can get them really cheaply on the classifieds here or on e-bay. You just normally pay for postage.

I have a male fighter with some cherry shrimp and as the numbers of the cherry shrimp are only increasing very slowly in that particualar tank I am pretty sure my boy is munching on the babies although he leaves the adults alone.

It's possible, there's no right or wrong answer, it depends on the fish, take the risk if you wish but they may be eaten or attacked.

I have a common freshwater shrimp in with my betta and they leave each other alone, even when they're both pigging out on bloodworm. Love my little shrimp, he's very entertaining, may have to get a couple more!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back