Can you breed anything in a plastic kids pool 135l and 50cm deep in a shed Uk ?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jellybean123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for some help I am helping a friend with a fish shed for her sons birthday. Basically I got him into the aquarium hobby . He has some learning difficulties but did an amazing business school project on building a fish breeding room business idea . He’s guppy’s breed so he sold them and he breed a few other species too. It was great and he wants to do it in the garden shed . As a birthday surprise 6 weeks away his mum has cleared it out got electric put in and two new tanks .Issue is he’s gonna get a massive shed with currently 2 tanks in (one for adults one for raising).

I have this plastic kiddy pools I don’t use . Which would fill a lot of empty space and he could replace with tanks in time . It holds 135 litres but is only 50 cm deep probs would only fill to 40cm . I through it would be great if we could put a species in that would breed. Ideally something that doesn’t need a heater ( or maybe just in winter) .

Does anyone have any suggestions because I have been thinking and getting no ideas

Some kiddie pools have mould/algae resisting chemicals in the plastic, and they cause problems. Others don't, and I have seen backyard guppy pools before. There's no way to tell.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing about a coating or something on the pools to help keep the water safe for kids. I thought about using a pond liner or something in one of those kiddie pools, but figured a regular storage bin or trash bin might be better/simpler. I was thinking of breeding shrimp in an outdoor pool of some kind this summer.

We're all in different countries, but around here there is a mania for organizing we can tap into.

Plastic storage bins are very popular and the price has really come down. Thinner ones bow and fail, but there are a lot of rigid sided ones, even ones that are vaguely transparent, that can work well for fish. I had to move my tanks ten hours away 3 months before I could move myself last year, so I kept my fish in such containers at my house, then bagged the fish and stacked the bins for the final move. They did fine, breeding and living fairly normally.

The quickest way to discourage a fish breeding kid is to have no outlet for the work done. You need a species stores want. Even if the payoff is low in money, it can be high in pride and confidence. That adds complexity as winter will be a problem.

I've used a kiddy pool for my livebearers. Works perfectly when you're keeping it outdoors. Friends of mine even kept them indoors with fish in it without any problems. But yes, it does depend on the kind of material wether it will release chemicals from the plastic that might be harmful to fish. But in case, someone does have such a pool, it's better to keep it outdoors. For in some way, the chemicals won't hurt the fish when kept outdoors.

Most reactions

Back