Can someone help my guppy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Amylynn

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 guppies (2 are fancy guppies). Last week one of guppies died, it was the day after I had done a 25-30% water change, not sure if that was the reason or not. Since then one of my other guppies has a large bump on its belly. I believe they are all males so I donā€™t think itā€™s pregnancy plus it doesnā€™t look like that. It is sort of staying to itself, sometimes laying on the bottom of the tank other times swimming around towards the back of the tank. The other three fish seem to swim around him and are interested in his belly. I noticed yesterday that he now has a red circle on the side of the enlarged belly. I tried giving him a frozen pea 2 days ago and he did take a couple nibbles. I have not seen him poop since then although I am not always watching. I donā€™t think itā€™s dropsy since no scales are raised. Not sure what else to do? Had the water tested at the pet store and the nitrate level was high but since I had just done a 25% water change I waited until today and did a 50% water change. I want to help him because obviously something isnā€™t right. I donā€™t want him to die, or be in pain or possibly infect the other fish. Can anyone help? Trying to add pics.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
How often do you normally do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the water before it is added to the tank?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

----------------------------
Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting and the images should fit on this site. if they don't then put them on an image hosting website and copy & paste the link here. We can view the images at the other site.

----------------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next week or until we work out what is going on.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank. The best way to do this is by adding some dechlorinator to a bucket of water and vigorously aerating it for at least 2 minutes, preferably 30 minutes.

Make sure you use a bucket that is specifically for the fish and has never been used for cleaning products or anything else.

If the tank has been running for more than a couple of months, clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash the filter materials in a bucket of tank water. Wash the filter case under tap water.

Get some pictures and maybe a short 20 second video of the fish on here as soon as you can.

I will get pics up tomorrow, need my hubby's help.
The tank has been set up since September.
Had 2 fish, then 3 then 5. Had maybe 2 others pass away during first few weeks & i would replace them (they are my 6 yr old son's pets) so not sure how long with this particular fish.
Nothing new added in the past 2 wks.
Water changes every 2-3 weeks (i make sure its the same temp, was adding tetra aquasafe plus, girl at store told me to switch to API quick start - add to water b4 i put it in the tank, used at last 2 water changes)

I was doing 25% changes, today i did 50%
I clean tank glass with magnet
I clean plants by acrubbing them in the tank water once its in the bucket.
Have special bucket just for the fish tank.
I clean the filter same as plants then replace the filter cartridge a day after water change by running a new one under tap water, squeeze it out and put it in the filter.
I move around the gravel with the suctioner as i am taking out the water to clean it.

You don't want to change filter cartridges if you can help it. They get colonies of beneficial bacteria on them that help keep the water clean and if you replace the cartridge you get rid of the bacteria and the tank can cycle again. That causes ammonia and nitrite to build up and make the fish sick.

Most filter cartridges contain carbon or other granules that are not needed. You can make a small cut in the top or bottom of the cartridge and tip the stuff out and throw it away. but keep the actual cartridge and squeeze it out in a bucket of tank water and then put it back in the filter.

If you add some sponges to the filter they will hold more filter bacteria and it will be less of an issue if you do replace the cartridge. You can also get cylindrical sponges from internal power filters and they fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters and add additional filter media.

E22C2E2D-BE72-4366-B225-C93B30B5893C.jpeg

The speed that it appeared would suggest a cyst or internal organ issue, however if the organs fail and become enlarged the fish doesn't normally eat and dies within a few days of the problem appearing.
Cysts normally take a couple of weeks (or more) to appear but they can grow pretty quickly.
The growth would be too quick for a tumour.

Either way there isn't much you can do for the fish. Just keep the tank clean and let the fish live until it no longer eats or has trouble swimming, then euthanise it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back