The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Morning!

I'm very interested in having shrimp in my community tank (no large fish) and I'm considering them as my one and only clean up crew (with additional specific feeding of course ).

However, I've seen them happily graze on rocks/plants/moss balls, but can they actually eat algae from the tank glass? Speciifically algae that is half way up the tank with no purchase points near it for clinging on to?

If the answer is no, then I'll just invest a plec as well as shrimp will be added regardless!

Morning!

I'm very interested in having shrimp in my community tank (no large fish) and I'm considering them as my one and only clean up crew (with additional specific feeding of course ).

However, I've seen them happily graze on rocks/plants/moss balls, but can they actually eat algae from the tank glass? Speciifically algae that is half way up the tank with no purchase points near it for clinging on to?

If the answer is no, then I'll just invest a plec as well as shrimp will be added regardless!
Yes, i have seen cleaner shrimp [marine] just use their tiny little feet things to hover [name?] which all shrimp have, so yeah, they can eat algae, get cherry shrimp :D

tropic john double post

So long at the current isn't too strong I've seen mine attach to the glass before. Generally speaking I just have an algae scraper for the tank side.

I got this the other day...
http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquarium-c...ml?ref=shopping

It has a rubbish product image. But if you enlarge it. If you can imagine that red thing is in two pieces sandwiched together.
You can slide it out, seperate the pieces, take a piece of cut up credit card, uni card, library card...lol. Whatever you can find.
Slot it between the two pieces and slide the whole lot back into the top.

You then have a perfect scraper and can reach ANYWHERE with it. It wont scratch the tank, and for only £3.09 (from pets at home) I will have limitless scraper replacements for free. So that's my algae removal tool set for life.

Bargain!

I've got one of the magnetic things which is easily removing the specs I have seen.......might need something like that if it gets tougher though. Thanks for the tip.

Would love to watch the shrimp come to the front glass to eat.......but the current is quite strong (to keep the danios happy) so they'll possibly not be able to.

you meant to put classic razor blades in them for glass tanks

Yeah but bae...

Cut up plastic card = Free + No chances of ever scratching the glass or hurting fish, yet does the job just as well and just as fast

OR

Metal razorblade = Cost money, can scratch glass, can injure fish, doesn't do the job any better.

Seemed an easy call in my opinion.

Oh and the reason I mentioned it was just because I personally have only ever had any probs with GSA. No fish would ever eat this (not that I'd ever want to buy a fish to eat it anyways), so just saying even if your shrimp don't attach to the glass to eat algae. There are still super cheap and effective alternatives to getting a fish.

yeah i only used it as my bro shaves with the old style razors so boil then use his old ones but i got a new one now as my tanks two feet deep i got a 3 feet long one with interchangeble heads (metal scraper,plastic scraper,sponge brillo pad,gravel scoop)
cost me tho 15 quid :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back