Can Plecos Bite?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rachh004

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to get rid of one of my common plecos (im giving him to a fish store) and I was wondering if they can bite. Im more worried about the fin thing on their backs. Is that sharp? I don't want to hurt myself moving him. Also, any suggestion on how move him. He's about 4 inches.

I am going to get rid of one of my common plecos (im giving him to a fish store) and I was wondering if they can bite. Im more worried about the fin thing on their backs. Is that sharp? I don't want to hurt myself moving him. Also, any suggestion on how move him. He's about 4 inches.

yeah mate you better watch out my mate lost his hand to one

Plecs are very tough fish and have strong fins yes they can feel quite sharp as i found out when moving a bristlenose last night but they do not bite and i dont think they can cause you any immediate harm or damage

russ1979 pmsl that was hilarious

at 4" you wont have a problem...

use a large mesh net or just "persuade" it into a rubbermaid tub ;)

Oh Yeh they bite my mate once lost a finger to a Common Pleco (about 30cm), took his finger down to the knuckle :crazy:

Only jocking Lol :lol: , no they dont bite, they do however have sharpe barbs on them so be careful

And it will kick like a mule!

Make sure you wear a mask as it might jump out and 'Face Suck' you like the Aliens in Aliens!

yeah ok folks - Enough wind up...

Its VERY unlikey any plec will bite you... although some bigger species might be able to scratch a bit with their "teeth"

the more important thing to worry about is the pectoral fins. It not handled correctly a large plec (10" common in my case) can easly and quickly stab you while your trying to show off and catch it by hand... Ours stabbed me through the web between my thumb and first finger in a quick flick trying to get away from me... ouch

you guys are all mean, trying to scare me with horror stories. Just kidding, I knew you were joking, i think. Thanks for the "good" advise

Most reactions

Back