Can I Use A Pearl Gourami To Cycle A Tank?

lillykinloo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am in the process of cycling a 37 gallon eclipse tank. I started doing a cycle with fish before really doing a lot of research (I know I really should have done the fishless cycle now :blush: ) I currently have 5 Diamond Tetras in the tank (they've been in the tank for 2.5 weeks). I have been doing my water tests daily, and so far, I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. I asked about this in the Beginner's Forum, and they suggested that I add a couple of fish, because I may not have enough to create a good supply of ammonia to get the cycle started. So, here's my question:

Would it be ok for me to add 1 male or 1 female Pearl Gourami? Are these fish hardy enough to have a fighting chance to make it thru the cycle if I do daily water changes and feed sparingly?

My goal is to eventually have the 5 Diamond Tetras, 3 Gouramis (1 male & 2 female), and 5-6 corys. This would make me fully stocked. I don't think the cory cats are hardy enough, so this leaves the Pearls. What do you think?

Hi everyone! I am in the process of cycling a 37 gallon eclipse tank. I started doing a cycle with fish before really doing a lot of research (I know I really should have done the fishless cycle now :blush: ) I currently have 5 Diamond Tetras in the tank (they've been in the tank for 2.5 weeks). I have been doing my water tests daily, and so far, I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. I asked about this in the Beginner's Forum, and they suggested that I add a couple of fish, because I may not have enough to create a good supply of ammonia to get the cycle started. So, here's my question:

Would it be ok for me to add 1 male or 1 female Pearl Gourami? Are these fish hardy enough to have a fighting chance to make it thru the cycle if I do daily water changes and feed sparingly?

My goal is to eventually have the 5 Diamond Tetras, 3 Gouramis (1 male & 2 female), and 5-6 corys. This would make me fully stocked. I don't think the cory cats are hardy enough, so this leaves the Pearls. What do you think?

Personally, I wouldn't.

Cheap zebra danios are the better choice, if only for their hardiness and cheap cost. Why put a beautiful fish like a pearl or other gourami through the cycle process? Some will argue you shouldn't put any fish through it, but seeing as how you've already started the process, let it complete. Also, daily water changes will slow your cycle. You shouldn't perform a water change unless the test(s) indicate it and your filter should not be touched at all during this process. If you're using an undergravel filter, don't muck about with it. Let it do its job; same with any other filter you're using. You should have seen a decent ammonia spike by now, followed by increased levels of nitrite. What are you feeding the fish you have now? Make certain you're giving them enough to eat. Ammonia needs to be generated to supply food for the bacteria to consume it and grow in numbers, and fish waste, excess food and decaying plant matter produces it. If no ammonia is generated, your bacteria will die off or be reduced to insufficient levels, requiring the entire process to start all over again. If you're feeding too lightly and changing water every day, you'll get nowhere in a hurry.

If you must add another fish, add a danio or two. Otherwise, make certain you're keeping ammonia production up. The fish cycle process takes 4 to 6 weeks...or longer...depending on how one handles the entire cycle process.

Regards

But then what to do with the Danios when the cycle is completed?
Then she doesn't have room for either the Gouramis or the Cories, unless she can find someone willing to re-house Danios.

I know I'm probably missing something really obvious LOL

Personally, I wouldn't.

Cheap zebra danios are the better choice, if only for their hardiness and cheap cost. Why put a beautiful fish like a pearl or other gourami through the cycle process? Some will argue you shouldn't put any fish through it, but seeing as how you've already started the process, let it complete. Also, daily water changes will slow your cycle. You shouldn't perform a water change unless the test(s) indicate it and your filter should not be touched at all during this process. If you're using an undergravel filter, don't muck about with it. Let it do its job; same with any other filter you're using. You should have seen a decent ammonia spike by now, followed by increased levels of nitrite. What are you feeding the fish you have now? Make certain you're giving them enough to eat. Ammonia needs to be generated to supply food for the bacteria to consume it and grow in numbers, and fish waste, excess food and decaying plant matter produces it. If no ammonia is generated, your bacteria will die off or be reduced to insufficient levels, requiring the entire process to start all over again. If you're feeding too lightly and changing water every day, you'll get nowhere in a hurry.

If you must add another fish, add a danio or two. Otherwise, make certain you're keeping ammonia production up. The fish cycle process takes 4 to 6 weeks...or longer...depending on how one handles the entire cycle process.

Regards

Thanks, TerraDreamer! I stopped doing the daily waterchanges. The Beginner's Forum advised me to wait until the ammonia levels reach about 1.0 before I do another water change. So, I've waited another week, and I still have 0 ammonia reading (and no nitrite or nitrates either). :no: I am feeding the five Diamond Tetras every other day. They eat Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets (just a very small amount-there seems to be a lot of food in a small amount) and after they finish the micro pellets, they get a small pinch of Omega One Super Color (crumbled into small pieces). They finish the pellets and flakes in a total of about 30-45 seconds. They are voracious eaters. I also have frozen Daphnia on hand, but I haven't offered this yet. Am I not feeding them enough?

The Beginner's Forum also suggested that I add another fish or two to increase my bioload to produce enough ammonia. I have a 37 gallon tank, and a couple of members suggested that 5 tetras may not be enough to kick off the process properly, which is why I'm inquiring about adding another fish or two now. I have heard that the Danios are the hardiest fish for cycling. But, I've also been told that the fast swimming Danios will not be compatible with the Pearl Gouramis. And, unfortunately, I don't have a second tank to put them in.

So, do you think I should try feeding them more and wait another week? Or, do you think the Danios would be ok with the Pearl Gouramis? Thanks again! I really appreciate your advice! :thanks:

But then what to do with the Danios when the cycle is completed?
Then she doesn't have room for either the Gouramis or the Cories, unless she can find someone willing to re-house Danios.

I know I'm probably missing something really obvious LOL

Hi, Birdie! :) No, you're not missing anything. This is a problem. I won't have room for them in my tank in the long run (unless I change my stocking plan, which I guess, could be an option). And, I don't have any friends with fish tanks (If I did, I would have begged them for their filter media by now ;)) Well, my boss has a Cichlid tank, but I don't think the Danios would last very long in here. :no:

Don't add more fish.

Buy yourself a new test kit (the liquid type - not unreliable paper strips) and make sure you are using dechlorinated tap water for water changes. Check your water temperature as well.

Do you have plants in the tank?

If you continue to have problems, return the diamond tetras and start a fishless cycle. It'll be quicker (and cheaper) and you won't need to worry about the fish.

Don't add more fish.

Buy yourself a new test kit (the liquid type - not unreliable paper strips) and make sure you are using dechlorinated tap water for water changes. Check your water temperature as well.

Do you have plants in the tank?

If you continue to have problems, return the diamond tetras and start a fishless cycle. It'll be quicker (and cheaper) and you won't need to worry about the fish.

Hi Sylvia! Thanks for the reply! I am using the API Master Test Kit (it's a liquid kit). I've also had two lfs test the water. But, I certainly don't mind buying a different test kit. I've heard the ones by Seachem are pretty reliable, and one of my lfs carries it. I am using a dechlorinator in the water called Bio Coat by Marineland Labs. It says, "eliminates chlorine and chloramine" on the bottle. It's also supposed to promote a nature slime coat and add electrolytes. The temperature is set at 79 degrees. There are no real plants in the tank (just plastic).

I did call my lfs today to ask about taking the fish back, and unfortunately, since it's been over 2 weeks now, they won't accept them back. :( So, I think I'll just have to be patient. I did decide after reading the posts here that I'm feeding a bit too sparingly. I think I'll continue to feed every other day but maybe give them a pinch more. I've also decided definitely not to add the pearl or other fish. Chances are, I would add those fish & the ammonia would spike out of control (just my luck after 2.5 weeks of nothing :rolleyes:). I'll just need to be more patient. Boy, this really taught me a lesson about cycling with fish. Thanks again! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back