Can I Use A Carbon Filter When I Use Plant Fertiliser?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bexbeckybex

Reaction score
Hi everyone! ok so I'v been keeping fish for a year now and haven't had much luck in growing plants. I thought I would try and give them a little help by adding a fertiliser ( JBL ferrotabs). However, part of my filter contains some activated carbon and I'm not sure if it will absorb all the beneficial metals and minerals and stuff from the fertiliser.I know that carbon usually absorbs all the nasty impurities from the water but not sure if the stuff that comes in these ferrotabs could be considered 'nasties', So basically I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time putting the fertiliser in or if I need to remove the carbon for a bit ( the ferrotabs go in once a week). They contain: manganese, iron, cobalt, boron, zinc, bromine, lithium, magnesium, tin and titanium..... and 'J'....if anyone knows what that stands for in the periodic tabler then let me know! :)

Those are inorganics, carbon is fine with them.

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, these isn't an element with the chemical symbol of J as yet.

J is the symbol for Jellinium. It is the sweetest of all the elements.

You do not need to use carbon in the filter unless you are trying to remove medication. Carbon doesn't last very long and isn't really needed all the time. :)

TwoTankAmin said:
J is the symbol for Jellinium. It is the sweetest of all the elements.
I laughed - love it

OP, good luck with your tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back