Can I Getv A Turtle?

AQUAKING

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Its ment to say get not getv, sorry. Anyway,

I have a 3 1/2 foot tank which is 18 inches tall and 12 inches from front to back. I was thinking of getting a turtle that dosent get to big,
anyone know of any thet can live in this tank?
Also can he live alone?
What type of food will he eat?
How should i decorate the tank?
And finaly what type of lighting will he need?

Sorry about all the questions, im a complete newbie at the turtles game.

AQUAKING

Someone must know someting after 18 people readong this.
AQUAKING

though I don't know an awful lot about turtles I think one of the smaller species is the Map turtle that gets a shell about 20cm in diameter, they need land for basking, a swimming area and like to have a shallow part in the water so they can sit in the water and stick their heads out.

I think you might get away with one in that size tank, though I'm not 100% sure and some more research would be needed. It would need a full spectrum flourescent light to bask in. they are carnivours eating fish, shrimps, crayfish and most molluscs. they are known for being quite muclky and need cleaning out very regularly.

I hope someone comes back with more info for you. It's a shame the tank isn't wider, that would be my biggest worry. good luck, sorry I haven't been much help.

i doubt very much, because a turtle cant bend its shell, like say a fish can, it would be very diffcult for it to turn so wuold be better suited for a tank 18" wide 4 feet long.

Thats a shame, :( i will have to stick to fish then. thanks moray and dany

AQUAKING

Ok.....a 3 1/2 x 12in x 18in I think is about a 40 gallon???

IF I am correct on my math and it is a 40 gallon....then YES you do have a big enough tank for a turtle! A small one though. The bigger the tank is better and a minimum of 10 gallons per inch of a turtles shell length (SCL) is best. The smallest I can think of is a Stinkpot (also called a common musk). They are very slow growing and they reach sizes of about 4 to 5 inches so a bigger tank maybe needed in the future if you had one. They are hardy turtles except they are rather frail as hatchlings. They eat snails, earth worms, grasshoppers, crickets, ghost shrimp, small crayfish & commercial aquatic turtle pellets and they will eat leafy greens.
Turtles are not an inexpensive pet. Their set ups are costly and they live a very long time. I have 1 little two inch Western Painted (that will reach the size of a dinner plate someday) I have had Mr Oink (the turtle) for just over a year and I have spent around $800 for just the set up. :S Not complaining though, he is the coolest little pet Ihave ever had! :wub: Good luck! :good:

Thanks, tracy rene,

I will have a look up about the stink pot one, the food will be no problem as my lfs does ghost shrimp at 20 for 70p (not sure what that is in $). I realy want one as my fish, though i love them to peices are becoming a little less fun. I still enjoy them but i need to embark on a new quest. (God i sound like something from 'lord of the rings').

AQUAKING

Ive had a look an the internet and have found quite a bit of infomation on them. They seem perfect for me, small, easy to house and easy to feed. What more could you ask for.

On a US site it said you could keep one in a 24"by18" tank, this must be wrong dont you think. I was thinking of the tank to go like this,

a 30-40 UK gallon tank (still not sure about the size)
Aquarium sand/gravel sloped so one side is higher
An array of rocks as decorations
A platform for a place out of the water
Also plants
A heater
A filter system

what type of lighting would i need?
What is better sand or gravel?

thanks

AQUAKING

So glad you checked into and are willing to do a little research! :nod:

For lighting you will need one that specifically says UVB rays. Which I am sure you know when it says UV it does not mean UVB! Your platform should be directly under your UVB lighting and you should provide a heat lamp to help keep the platform warm. I have a "Turtle Dock" look HERE. And this is my turtle using it!
114132632837_290.jpg
This area needs to be warmer than the water and a good basking temp for stinkpots is high 80s to low 90s farenheit. Water temps should be low to mid 70s and around 80 for hatchlings (also farenheit). I prefer large river rocks in my tank, but only because I like the natural look. I have heard people speak of worries regarding gravel because of the turtle eating it causing impaction. I myself used gravel for a year without any problems. The idea of plants and rocks is great. Stinkpots love to "climb" to the surface instead of swimming.

Good luck AQUA and let me know if I can help in anyway! :good:

Oh I should also tell you that certain turtles are illegal to keep in captivity in different areas. So be sure and check that out before you spend a bunch of $$$!

After a long think today i have decided that a common musk, is the one for me. Easy to feed easy to house and small what more could i ask for. I also like the natural look of the rocks, i will do the legality check befour i spend all my £ on the set up and the Stinkpot.

Thanks for all your help 'Tracy rene' i would have given up if itwasent for you, you have been so helpful and informative,

Thanks again :D

AQUAKING

P.S. Is 1 ok or will he get lonely?

You are very welcome AQUAKING, glad to be of help.

Turtles don't get lonely. They are quite solitary animals. Pretty much the only time you will see them together in the wild is when they are basking. Some turtles get along well together and other turtles don't get along at all and require separation. If you did try more than one that means a much bigger tank too!

Didnt you ask on the betta forum if you could put some females in with all these different fish and people said no but you did it anyway, couldnt you have put them in this tank. Lol just playin with you since it seems to be workin out in that tank anyway and I like the idea of having a turtle :good:

I myself own a turtle. It is a Red-Eared Slider though. Males can get up to 10" and females up to 12"! I currently have him in a 55 gallon tank. Everything Tracy said sounds about right. One thing though. The sand idea is definetly a NO! Sand is not good unless you are getting a softshell turtle wich requires it ... but thats no the case here. It can cause impaction and indigestion leading to the death of your turtle if the sand is swallowed. Same goes for small gravel. The gravel should be larger than his head so that it is not able to eat it.

Visit this forum: http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/index.php?act=idx

It is the best. Everyone there is friendly and give great info.

Loko17 the bettas r doin fine, they have stopped schooling together and sort have set up their own mini teritories.

Thats good he will be ok on his own, plus he will have all my attention. I have seen some massive gravel that would be perfect.

I will have a look at my LFS to see about the lights and the actual turtle.

Thanks alot everyone!

AQUAKING

AQUAKING,

The gravel/sand for substrate is a highly debated thing in the turtle world! I too belong to a turtle forum and it has been spoken of so often there! I know of many long time turtle owners that use sand, aquarium gravel, river rock, marbles, and even no substrate. I personally have only heard of people being worried of impaction with gravel......I have never heard of a claim that it has actually caused impaction or death. If you think about it.......in the wild turtles live in sandy areas with rocks of all different sizes from smaller than aquarium gravel up to huge gigantic boulders! :dunno: So to say it is a definate No I would have to disagree with! (No offense RESguy! ;) ) I have used gravel and like I said now have river rocks, but there are also shrimp in my tank which I added an area of sand for because they seem to really like to filter through it.....I have never had a problem! :)

Just do your research and make your decision whichever you are comfortable with! Again Good Luck to you! :good:

I'll pm you a great turtle site to check out. I am unaware of rules regarding link posting on here!

Most reactions

Back