Can I add more fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 55 gallon, soft water, pH around 6.0 - 6.5, water changes done once a week mostly, ammonia, nitrites always zero, nitrates barely register usually, but occasionally get as high as 10 ppm. Lots of plants. Sand substrate.

Current residents:
2 pearl gourami (I had 3 but will be rehoming one)
6 hemigrammus erythrozonus tetras
Umpteen bronze cories (they have bred multiple times so I went from 4 to about 15 - 16)

With the pearl gouramis at the top and/or hiding all the time, and the cories at the bottom, and the tetras being mostly clear, I barely see any fish in this tank. I would like some mid-level swimmers if my tank can handle more fish as far as the bioload [edited: just noticed that spell-check changed bioload to bootloader] is concerned.

If it is possible, I am thinking of Cardinal tetras since they like the same temperature range as the gouramis but I'm concerned that maybe they won't really hang out in the middle so much as the bottom, where there are already plenty of cories.

Either that or more of the glolight tetras.

What do you think

Last edited:
Here's the tank. What mid-level swimmers do you think would be a good fit for this tank (if it can handle more fish). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20161229_190643.jpg
    IMG_20161229_190643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
I would start with taking the number of your existing tetras to 15 and see how you like that. They will probably become more active and "fill" the tank better.

Great looking tank. I agree im always a fan of larger groups. Awesome plant mass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

First of all...Gorgeous tank!!

I would start with taking the number of your existing tetras to 15 and see how you like that. They will probably become more active and "fill" the tank better.
She said that they were almost clear and wanted something she can see better.

Have you thought of these little guys:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/boraras-marvels-in-miniature

I know they're soft water and they sure are a pop of color and well...they're super cute!

Neon or Cardinal tetras would look pretty also :)

Have you thought of these little guys:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/boraras-marvels-in-miniature

I know they're soft water and they sure are a pop of color and well...they're super cute!

:)

EEEEKKK!!!! I LOVE them!!!!! They are perfect!!! EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Soft water, mid to upper third level swimming, prefer slower water (just like the gouramis), prefer planted tanks, prefer similar higher temps as the gouramis as well! All around, they seem like a really excellent fit for my tank.

So, you don't think I'm already overstocked with the number of cories? I suppose I could give away some of the cories. I hate doing it but if the bioload is going to be too much, then I have to do something. I mean, seriously, I never realized they were going to breed at all, much less so prolifically. I am actually hoping that by adding more fish, they will be better at finding the cory eggs and eating them before I get completely overrun with cories.

No I wouldn't say you were. Not in a 55g. Just make sure to keep up with your regular water changes. If you don't like the Glowlights, I'd take them back and get a large shoal of Boraras. They're super small so in a 55g, you could get a lot of them.

They'd also really pop against the green of the plants.

So, you don't think I'm already overstocked with the number of cories?

The best guide to how heavily (or not!) your tank is stocked is the nitrate levels. In overstocked tanks, this will rise very high, very quickly, and you'd need to be doing a lot of large water changes to keep them down.

As your tank's nitrates are very low, it's good indication that your stocking, and your maintenance regimen, is perfectly fine :)

No I wouldn't say you were. Not in a 55g. Just make sure to keep up with your regular water changes. If you don't like the Glowlights, I'd take them back and get a large shoal of Boraras. They're super small so in a 55g, you could get a lot of them.

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I wouldn't really want to add more since they are harder to see. I have major guilt issues with relocating fish, so there has to be a pretty compelling reason for me to do so. I know I make too big a deal of it, but I can't help it. I moved some peppered cories to a different tank and felt like the worst person ever. Of course, they are all fine and happy in their new home, so I obviously made a mountain out of a molehill.

Anyway, I do like the tetras, just not enough to increase their numbers.

I'm glad you don't think I would be overstocked. I definitely keep up with water changes. I check water quality before every change just to stay on top of things too. I suppose I could add the new fish and then if things started getting out of control, I could adjust the numbers at that point, or do more frequent water changes.

Space-wise, the entire middle of the tank is almost completely unused, so I feel good there. It's just the bioload I was worrying about.

Thank you for your reply!! :)

I would be cautious about putting any Boraras species in a tank with pearl gouramis. Have you seen how tiny Boraras are? Even if the gouramis didn't actually eat them, the Boraras would spend most of their time in hiding

I would be cautious about putting any Boraras species in a tank with pearl gouramis. Have you seen how tiny Boraras are? Even if the gouramis didn't actually eat them, the Boraras would spend most of their time in hiding
That is true. But Pearl Gouramis are some of the most peaceful. I think that even if the Boraras didn't like them to begin with, they would gradually come out of their shell, so to speak.

In my experience, you would not see Boraras in so large a tank. I have had three species for many years, and they are always better in smaller tanks. I presently have them in with my Chocolate Gourami in a 29g, and that is about as large a tank as I would consider. Tiny fish that are about 1.5 cm at max get lost in large tanks. And while Pearls are peaceful among gourami, this might be a temptation.

Rasbora is a good way to be thinking though, just with the medium-sized species. The Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) is a perfect fit, as it is mid-water, sedate, well suited to peaceful gourami, and would love your beautiful planted tank. The two cousins are less often seen but in my view even lovlier, and slightly smaller but still "significant." T. espei, and the beautiful copper T. hengeli. Any one of these three (I wouldn't mix them) in a group of 12-15 would be lovely.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-espei/
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-hengeli/

May I ask why you re-homed the third Pearl? Was it because you have a pair and the third was getting picked on? You could increase these beauties, they are nice in a small group of 5-6, with more females to male ratio of course.

Byron.

In my experience, you would not see Boraras in so large a tank. I have had three species for many years, and they are always better in smaller tanks. I presently have them in with my Chocolate Gourami in a 29g, and that is about as large a tank as I would consider. Tiny fish that are about 1.5 cm at max get lost in large tanks. And while Pearls are peaceful among gourami, this might be a temptation.

Rasbora is a good way to be thinking though, just with the medium-sized species. The Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) is a perfect fit, as it is mid-water, sedate, well suited to peaceful gourami, and would love your beautiful planted tank. The two cousins are less often seen but in my view even lovlier, and slightly smaller but still "significant." T. espei, and the beautiful copper T. hengeli. Any one of these three (I wouldn't mix them) in a group of 12-15 would be lovely.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-espei/
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-hengeli/

May I ask why you re-homed the third Pearl? Was it because you have a pair and the third was getting picked on? You could increase these beauties, they are nice in a small group of 5-6, with more females to male ratio of course.

Byron.

Well, I guess I don't want them eaten. Sigh. I really like that deep red. Do you think that if they were in a large enough group that they would be okay?

I know everyone else loves them, but harlequin rasboras have never been my favorites. The espei are okay but again, not my favorite. The hengeli are very similar to the glowlight tetras. I think if I were to go with that look, I would increase the numbers of my current tetras.

I rehomed the pearl because he was getting picked on by his brother. One of mine is VERY aggressive. I have been unable to find any females for sale. They are sold so young that they all look female and I just can't take a chance on getting any more males. He may even start picking on the remaining pearl, so I'll have to keep an eye on it. He pays no attention AT ALL to the other fish, only the other pearls. But to them, he is relentless.

What about congo tetras? They are a little bigger than would be my first choice, but a store near me has them and they aren't usually available. They are very pretty though. Although, I haven't done any research other than to find out that they are shy.

How about cardinal tetras? Will they stay in the bottom of the tank too much?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back