Can I Add A Second Filter To A Biorb?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NeonTetra97

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could add a second filter to my 30L BiOrb alongside the standard filter? The reason I ask is because the standard filter seems underpowered and there are particles floating in the water that don't seem to be taken in by the standard filter. Can you filter a tank too much? I am a total beginner in all this and I have had a look on the web and searched the forum but couldn't find anything. I have been looking at the Interpret PF Mini Water Filter, is this any good? Any help would be really great!

Thank you!

You can certainly add another filter; it's impossible to overfilter a tank, although you can have too much flow, as some fish (like bettas) prefer slow moving water.

It might be that you have too many fish, though; 30l is very small, and that could be the root of the problem. If you could list the fish you have, we can advise you on stocking although, be warned, there are very few fish that are suitable for a tank of that size and shape.

I would have thought just 1 filter is the best solution for a tank of that size. If you feel your current filter is under powered then maybe you should go for a more powerful, single filter.

Did your current filter come with the tank? If so, it should be OK. If you have large bits of 'debris' floating around just fish it out with a net. Also, the filter doesn't only get rid of dirt you can see, it's where all the bacteria resides to process ammonia and nitrates - read the beginner sections on cycling!

I'm not sure about filtering a tank 'too' much, but, l would have thought it would be better just to have 1 filter of adequate power to cope with the bio-load in your tank.

Please read up on tank cycling before you add any fish!

Thanks for the advice! Fluttermoth, i have 5 male Guppies and 7 Neon Tetras, it was supposed to be 5 Tetras but when i got home from my local store I realised they gave me 7! The water is clear but with very very fine particles that are only visibly sometimes, I test the water weekly and the levels are good, ammonia is 0ppm. The other reason I was asking about additional filtration is because when I use holiday food for my fish the water becomes very cloudy, I do this only when I absolutely have to because i hate the stuff! fm1978 the Biorb filter is built into the tank so its something you cant easily remove and luckily i found this forum before i added the fish so i did a fishless cycle

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back