Can anyone identify this fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

J18

Reaction score
Helli. I wonder if anyone can tell me what kind of fish this is? I can't seem to find any info. on it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1516637877835196539273.jpg
    1516637877835196539273.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 282
I would suggest it is a cyprinid, likely a species in the commonly-termed barb group.

I would suggest it is a cyprinid, likely a species in the commonly-termed barb group.
Thanks. All I know is it supposedly came from the Mekong River in China. Still looking for the name of this specific fish. Thanks for the input though, that helps.

The Mekong system is huge, with some 1200 species of freshwater fish. See map below. Dr. Walter Rainboth has been studying the fish of this basin since his graduate days in 1974, and is the author of The Mekong Fishes of Cambodia, which is available digitally here:
https://books.google.ca/books?hl=en...ts=w_9MbXrQNx&sig=V3nJmn4y1fzGS5LJpZhjxu72bQ0

Each of the 1200 species is illustrated, though unfortunately not in colour, but you may find it.

Attachments

• Mekong basin.jpg
    Mekong basin.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 251
The Mekong system is huge, with some 1200 species of freshwater fish. See map below. Dr. Walter Rainboth has been studying the fish of this basin since his graduate days in 1974, and is the author of The Mekong Fishes of Cambodia, which is available digitally here:
https://books.google.ca/books?hl=en...ts=w_9MbXrQNx&sig=V3nJmn4y1fzGS5LJpZhjxu72bQ0

Each of the 1200 species is illustrated, though unfortunately not in colour, but you may find it.
Wow. That would be a lot of fish to sort through. Thanks so much for the info. And the link. Its very much appreciated.

Wow. That would be a lot of fish to sort through. Thanks so much for the info. And the link. Its very much appreciated.

You're welcome. It will not be all that difficult, as the species are arranged in families and most of them will obviously not be relevant. The family Cyprinidae holds all the carps and minnows, where the barbs are placed.

Check out the Barilius species. Though your fish doesn't seem to fit exactly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back