Can Anyone Id My Hoplo?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kniesh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought a group of 5 Hoplos, however looking at them, one is definitely a different species. I will try and post pics later as I am currently in work, however I thought someone could help with just a description in the meantime?

It is around 3-4 " at the minute but it is much, much paler than the others, it was like this in the shop and still has not changed so I don't think this is due to stress of the move anymore, he seems to be moving round the tank happy enough now. He also has massive Barbels sticking out the side (the type Pictus have) but about 2" at least, and they seem to be permanently out for some reason, I've not seen this before, they usually retract don't they, and Ive not seen them this big before?

I have looked around and if I'm honest I dont think it is any of the 3 Hoplosternum or the 2 Megalechis species, the most like, and I only go from colour at the moment is the Megalechis picta. Although mine i still paler than this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lets see what the photo looks like later. ;)

Callichthys spp. is another possibility.

Yeah thought it was a long shot off that description tbh :), however from memory it is definitely more like Callichthys spp than the other 2 species I mentioned.

Here are those pics

I've noticed you have had an ID of Megalechis picta, from someone who is very reliable if you provide them with decent photos. ;)

Most reactions

Back