can all livebearers change sex?

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
my platty/mollie (dont know which because it looks like a platys nad was sold as a molly, and it doesnt have the bigger mouth or anything) daphney was a GIRl when i bough HER. but yeturday her godium fin thing was like the males and SHE kept flaring it out. and it was like the females before. is it possible? is there a way 2 make her want 2 go back? i dont want any males theyre kinda mean. ill have 2 ge rid of it if i cant get it 2 go back, not even sure that that is possible.

sorry to ask, but if they get impregnated in those 2-5 months, can they still turn into a male? :dunno:

When fry are born they are all the shape of females, but form their gender about 2 to 4 months after birth, some take less time, and some fry take more time to get thier gender personalities... They can not inpregernate within that time because the males cannot produce seamen for the females, and the female sex organs are still in development...

It is basically what tstenback said

;)

well this isnmt a fry, its a full grown molly.

i dont think anyone said it was a fry. I and others suggested that the molly may have been a late bloomer. A molly is fairly well grown in a 2-3 months and that is when they get sold in the LFS some males do not mature until 6 months or more of age and that is when the gonopodium starts to grow in these late blooming males. So if you have only had your fish for a short time then it could have been one of these late blooming males and only now is the gonopodium developing. Hope that clears up any confusion. :)

i bought a mature lookiing "female" sword from lfs and after maybe a week she lost the normal female fin and started growing a sword and she had a gonopodium.

Most reactions

Back