Camera Settings.... I Need Help.

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This camera used to take too dark pictures, so I played around with the settings and now,..... I get the "over exposure" as seen in the picture below taken outside on an overcast day:

Chris001.jpg

That was supposed to be a photo of a chameleon on my fence..... I took the Chameleon inside for a photo, and it came out too dark again and had to shine a torch onto it to get this photo:

Chris030.jpg

What should I change on my settings to have decent photos taken outside...... all my outside photos are just a white blob as in the first photo.

DSLR camera?

ISO settings I believe. But you may also have in night mode. Is it a preset mode you are using or a manual mode?

DSLR camera?

ISO settings I believe. But you may also have in night mode. Is it a preset mode you are using or a manual mode?

Thanks for responding rdp, but I'm an absolute novice when it comes to cameras (or any electronics) for that matter..... so..... I do not even know what you mean by DSLR..... it is a Sony 1080, DSC - H10,... Cyber-shot... Full HD....Optical zoom 10x,.... 3.0" LCD monitor..... 8.1 pixels......Still Image..... Super steady shot..... So if any of that makes any sense to you, I think it can be found on google to give more info....

It has numerous settings on the menu, but I have no clue what they're about..... I'll appreciate any info or help, as it is useless to me atm, as it cannot be used outside at all.... (or maybe there is something wrong with the camera)???

Can you not put it on auto mode? it should then adjust the settings automatically for the conditions, I am by no means an expert on cameras though and never fiddle with my settings manually on my digi camera as there is too many and I never know what each one means so I'd rather just let the camera sort it out!

Yes I looked on google. You have a digital camera, point and shoot. http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/sony-dsc-h10-features.cfm

DSLR are the higher range of cameras with interchangable lenses like the Nikon D500.

ISO settings is the control for how much the sensor is exposed to light. Try and find the ISO setting on your camera and set it to 400 for now. Set the white balance to auto.

Here is a manual to download just in case! http://camera.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/sony/dsch10.html

Also you could remove the memory card, turn the camera on, go to options, and reset to default!

Hope that helps!

Have you got in on automatic mode,

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3296279111.pdf
page 23 of the manual

Set to the camera option and then the camera will select what it thinks is ideal. which is general quite good for 99% of the time.

This camera used to take too dark pictures, so I played around with the settings and now,..... I get the "over exposure" as seen in the picture below taken outside on an overcast day:

Chris001.jpg

That was supposed to be a photo of a chameleon on my fence..... I took the Chameleon inside for a photo, and it came out too dark again and had to shine a torch onto it to get this photo:

Chris030.jpg

What should I change on my settings to have decent photos taken outside...... all my outside photos are just a white blob as in the first photo.

couple of questions, Ludwig.

the first pic:
as far as you know, did the flash go off? if so, the resultant flash back from that, would overwhelm the image.
I take it the chain fence was of dark colour? it may have been this. if the sensor, as it seems to be close to the fence, reads from the dark fence. the result would be overexposure.

second pic:
again (as i can see the flesh reflection in the bowls) perhaps this is caused by the flash being too close for the exposure system. there may even be a macro mode for the flash. but often, when you get close to the minimum focusing distance, the flash can overwhelm the image. looking at this. i would guess the flash is just a little too strong for the distance. this can be fixed by placing a bit of tissue, or greaseproof paper in front of the flash (don't obscure the sensor though). its an old trick. but gets round this problem well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back