Calling All Predatory Fish Keepers!

I know this may not be what you're looking for, but I've got an insanely aggresive angelfish that will go after anything under two inches long. He loves to munch on ghost shrimp, and swallows guppy fry whole. He's my guppy cull machine. :)

I feed my jags and clown knife 125 gold fish a week. Other than that they eat hakari gold pellets.
Sounds like a troll to me...

That would equal 17 goldfish each day...Plus pellets, I don't think so. :lol:

I feed my jags and clown knife 125 gold fish a week. Other than that they eat hakari gold pellets.
Sounds like a troll to me...

That would equal 17 goldfish each day...Plus pellets, I don't think so. :lol:

I agree. In a recent post he said his knife was about 6". I doubt a 6" clown knife could eat anywhere near this amount. Even with the help of a (I assume you have only one) jag around the same size, I doubt they would eat 17 goldfish a day plus pellets. If you really did feed goldfish in this amount, it is almost a certainty that you will have introduced many nasty things into your tank without a qt. From reading your other posts, it seems you only have a 29 and a 90g in which case it would be impossible to qt 150 goldies every week for a week or so at least.

Ryan

I think feeding your fish live foods is unethical, unless in the most extreme cases such as payara that will not take live foods. In the wild yes they would munch on live foods, however, in the wild their food would have more nutrients and sustenance than your goldfish or red rosy minnow. If you can feed it frozen prawn and other frozen foods. Why would you force a living fish to be captive food. It obviously has no chance of survival, like it would in the wild. Frozen is a lot healthier for your fish and more ethical for an aquarist.

I think feeding your fish live foods is unethical, unless in the most extreme cases such as payara that will not take live foods. In the wild yes they would munch on live foods, however, in the wild their food would have more nutrients and sustenance than your goldfish or red rosy minnow. If you can feed it frozen prawn and other frozen foods. Why would you force a living fish to be captive food. It obviously has no chance of survival, like it would in the wild. Frozen is a lot healthier for your fish and more ethical for an aquarist.

I think it depends on the reasons for feeding live foods. If you are doing it just to watch another animal viscously attack another (as sadly often happens with piranhas), then it isn't very eithical. If you are doing it because the fish refuses to eat frozen (like chaca chaca), is done as an occaisional treat, or to get rid of excess fry, then I think it is fine.

Ryan

i have an african pike ( hepsetus odoe ) approx 12" long and he gets fed tesco frozen prawns plus hikari gold as his staple diet.he has eaten 4xclown loaches,3x apollo sharks,etc etc so i'm sure he would prefer live,but i only feed him frozen,pellets.my 3x bichirs are the same.i feed them mainly lance fish and frozen prawns.

mark.

Have you perhaps considered how most frozen foods die? I am not sure which is worse, being swallowed whole or being left gasping for air on the surface while ice is poured on you.

Edit--

I should probably add that I try and avoid live foods where possible, but I sometimes wonder whether people really consider the "ethical superiority" of commercial fishing operations.

Have you perhaps considered how most frozen foods die? I am not sure which is worse, being swallowed whole or being left gasping for air on the surface while ice is poured on you.

Good point - I was going to say something similar.
I guess some smart Alec is going to say "What about when the feeder fish can't be swallowed whole?"

I should probably add that I try and avoid live foods where possible

Same here - just had a lovely chicken sandwich; would've been a real bugger trying to east it while the chicken was still flapping it's wings :lol:

it would cost a fortune feeding live all the time as oposed to the price of frozen

Hey all. I recently have started feeding my Blood Parrot and Oscar live Goldfish, and they enjoy it!

Edit--

I should probably add that I try and avoid live foods where possible, but I sometimes wonder whether people really consider the "ethical superiority" of commercial fishing operations.
[/quote]

Oh yeah I've thought about it. The unethical part comes in where I think some fish keepers get a twisted pleasure out of watching these things destroy other fish. I just saw a video a few days ago where a pirhana owner fed his pirhanas live ducklings. Of course freezing puts them into a state of deep sleep, as opposed to being ripped apart by an oscar.

That's really unhealthy for your fish. You should feed the pellets most of the time, substituting frozen foods every once in a while. Feeding goldfish to fish is really easy way to give your fish a disease and a fatty liver.

I hardly feed my fish live food, but if I do it's ghost shrimp and earth worms. All of my preds get a nice diet of frozen shrimp, bloodworm, brine shrimp (not so much anymore), krill, and cichlid gold sinking pellets. (Could have sworn it was more stuff than that). I'm going to start feeding silversides soon and probably get some squid/clam/seafood mixture from the store.

I realize this is actually off topic, but is that your datnoid in your display pic? If so, I am completely jealous! How gorgeous! :D

i feed live stuff like bloodworm/brine shrimp/mealworms things like that but they all eat alot of prawns/mussels/squidrings/salmon/trout/whitebait/cucumber/brockolli stalks romian lettuce/and my giant gourami has banana/tomato/peas/and all my plants i put in the tank lol now and then (he gets monk on if he doesn't have any when ive got one lol)

Most reactions

Back