Buy New Piranha Tank

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 1 Piranha currently and need to upgrade the tank as I only have a 30 Gal Tank.

I am looking at an upgrade in the future I would like 2 other Piranha's to join the current one. (3 Total)

Would this be ok?

This is the information I have so far.

90 Gallons
48"x18"x24"
8 months old
glass with black silicone, tempered on the bottom
Perfecto tank
The lid has a hinge as well as a plastic portion on the back to allow cutouts for filters, heaters, etc
used to have African Cichlids in it.

Cost $140 Canadian (which is the same as US right now)

Is there any other questions I should be asking this person?

Sounds good. Perfecto makes very nice aquariums ime. I would go see the tank in person to make sure on the seams etc. If you can though, I would try to get a tank 24" in width as it allows the piranhas more room (they don't really use the height that much).

As far as keeping piranhas, I would go for maybe 3 more as you have enough water to dilute the waste. If you have more piranhas, the nipping tends to be more evenly dispersed throughout the group. Don't cramp them too much though as you will end up with dead fish. I would add maybe 5 piranhas as you will likely end up with 1 or 2 casualties on the way and if you don't, well just trade them into your lfs.

Ryan

For 1 piranha could a 50 Gallon tank work?

Basically my poor piranha is in a 30 Gallon I am trying to place him in a tank he could be fine/happy in for atleast 5-6 months.

Here is the foot print for the 50 Gallon

48 inches long, 13 inches deep and 18 inches high

Maybe. It is pushing it and since your P is already really skittish, I would aim for at least 18" of width.

Ryan

EDIT: How big is your P? Depending on the size, it could live in there for a few months.

Maybe. It is pushing it and since your P is already really skittish, I would aim for at least 18" of width.

Ryan

EDIT: How big is your P? Depending on the size, it could live in there for a few months.

The previous owner put him down as 5.5" with tail he is only 2 1/2 years old apparently.

Since we last spoke I spoke to my buddy the fish breeder he seems to think he will probably be good 5-6 months in a 30 gallon (this doesn't make him right) but when I explained that he simply out grown his tank on the evidence that when spoked flys off right into the side of the tank ... he replied "You know what will happen if you buy a 50 Gallon ...?? ... He will just hit the side faster he is a skittish fish solve the problem."

So he recommended putting a solid green garbage bag on the outside of the tank on the side he is having trouble with ... its only been an hour and he has greatly had an additude change when he runs he does stop in the fake seaweed also he is ALOT calmer like when I was vaccuming his gravel normally he just stays relaxed hiding but this time he actually came to investigate.

He seems so much calmer now but still very energetic still feeding very well.

No signs of hard breathing ... All around seems healthy. Have to say with the stress I am releived.

fish breeder he seems to think he will probably be good 5-6 months in a 30 gallon (this doesn't make him right)

But he did say while I am waiting to 5-6 months I should be aiming for a 77 Gallon Tank

Your fish is stunted. By now he should be around 8 inches or so (fully grown). I would get him into a larger tank asap.

The advice that your friend is giving you about giving it a bigger tank will make your problem worse is wrong. I would suggest just doing your own research instead of listening to people who obviously are wrong.

Ryan

Your fish is stunted. By now he should be around 8 inches or so (fully grown). I would get him into a larger tank asap.

The advice that your friend is giving you about giving it a bigger tank will make your problem worse is wrong. I would suggest just doing your own research instead of listening to people who obviously are wrong.

Ryan

Ok this is stupid ... I am being stupid I am just going to grab him 75 Gallon. In a year I will upgrade to a 90 from there. I can't stand thinking he might be stressed out.

Good choice. Honestly you don't really need a 90g though. The only thing height is good for is waste dillution. It doesn't provide fish anymore room (besides very tall fish like discus and angelfish). You could still have a shoal of 3 or 4 fish in a 75g and they would be just as happy in that as a 90g. Just as long as you keep up on water changes like any other predatory fish. Or you could get him a 75g now and add a few more piranhas, then get a 90 later and have two separate shoals... :D

Ryan

Most reactions

Back