butterfly rams

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
i was thinking of purchasing a blue ram but i have a few concerns....

first of all i have done some tempermant research and come up with 2 answers
that they are so timid that even the slightest bit of stress sends them cowering in a corner on a hunger strike
and the other source said that they are relatively aggressive and should only be kept with larger, stronger fish
which is it :dunno:

the 20gallon tank he would be in contains:
3 peaceful gourami (full grown gold, blue, and dwarf)
2 khuil loaches (peaceful)
1 upsidedown catfish (nocternal so never a bother)
1 flying fox (little bastard that i may need a new home for)
lots of caves, plants and logs
the fox is my only concern, as it has been getting VERY aggressive around feeding time, which puts it into an hour long frenzy,
but i am only getting a ram if i find a new home for the flying fox

next, they supposedly like higher ph but i am keeping a neutral tank.... will they be ok in that???

Hi pointykitty (cute name) I don't know anything bout Rams but I was wondering what that marsupial looking deal is in your signature pic.

Wow, I usually don't like guinea pigs (bleck! :sick: ) but yours is cute--reminded me of a Wombat.

Nice pics of your animals--I can tell you are very dedicated to them. :wub:

--Lee

Exiled said:
Wow, I usually don't like guinea pigs (bleck! :sick: ) but yours is cute--reminded me of a Wombat.

Nice pics of your animals--I can tell you are very dedicated to them. :wub:

--Lee
aww thanx

:) who's that in your profile? you?
why don't you usualy like guinea pigs?
mine is litter trained, comes when you call him, and knows plenty of tricks
he has NEVER bitten a sole in his life, even when my cousins 2 year old desided to play "lets squish the piggy" :lol:

Yep, that's me in the profile. I don't know why I've never liked guinea pigs--they just always looked so nasty to me, like fattened tail-less rats--not yours though. I like your piggy's fur color. Sounds like they smarter than I expected them to be. :nod:

Ive had mine for about 6weeks (10g planted in sig). They are both juvies, one is larger and the dominant one. Sorry, I forgot, their both males. They are very peacefull, but not timid. If u get a breeding pair, It might be different. My ph is 7.2 I would not put mine with aggressive fish ( ff, rainbow shark). I too was cautious because I heard negative things. So far, so good.

WARNING:
If u do get some, you will fall in love. They are SO beautiful. I LOVE mine! A few weeks ago I saw BALLOON blue rams. Im so angry a didnt buy the trio.

Wish I had more info 4 u
Good Luck :)

thanks
yeah the 20 gallon tank is sitting at 22" of fish
i am now wondering if it could take a blue ram even if i didn't get rid of the flying fox (it would make it 25")
:shifty: hmmmmmm...
well i don't think i will try it
i don't wanna overstock my tank :unsure:

Bolivian rams are usually hardier and not as shy. Mine comes out to greet me and the two younger ones are still learning. Bs aren't as colorful but the different attributes (Whoa big word :crazy: ) of the two will even out. The blues are more clorful but the bolivians come out more. I had bad luck with blues/gold/german(same species) and have better with the bolivians :thumbs:

EDIT: Don't go by the one inch rule, that's bull. As long as you maintain the tank and keep it clean you'll be fine

Sometimes blue rams seem as though they are very aggressive but they are all show. Rams like to make themselves look larger and if they actually come into contact with larger, more aggressive fish they will quickly lose most or all of their color and may very well starve themselves to death. I have four rams (2 blues and 2 golds) in a tank with plenty of neon tetras and other small fish. They only show aggression towards their own species (hint: if you get more than one male get more than two, so aggression from the dominant ram will be broken up between more than one submissive ram). In the few instances where they do bully other fish they will be eating an algea waffer or a clown loach will interfere in sparing between two of the rams (the clown loaches never care of course).

Most reactions

Back