building greenhouse over pond

noelle

Reaction score
I have a 400 gallon turtle pond. It's not deep enough for them to hibernate so I'm toying with the idea of building a greenhouse over the pond for the winter months. Has anyobe had any experience with something like this? If not, random ideas are welcome! :)

Purple foliage cascades down
Summer whispers her song for all to hear
Packrats in heat devour all that is left of spring
The once crosp air, now Hot and humid presses apon the will

Oh you said NON-random thoughts okay

One second for me to get back on track

Okay Well over in garden web Iknow someone in zone 6 uses a cedar framed box with plastic streatched across it to provide some protection for her pond I suppose your idea would work. I was in huntsvill for the anual S&M conference last year and stoped to look at there botanical garden (I think it was huntsville anyways) And they keep there turtle pond in a greenhouse But you might scare your turtle away if you are to exuberent while constructing it.

I'm sorry my reply is so disjointed I wrote it while I was watching a TV show

HTH

Opcn

Oh, the turtles have no where to run to...they're my pets who grew too big to keep inside. I'm hoping the greenhouse thing will work, otherwise I'm going to have a 300 gallon stock tank in my guest room come October.

If you heat it enought and make it air tight and preferably out of two, tree or idealy four layered material then you will be fine. But any guests you have might be bummed aboout missing out on the turtle.

Good luck

Opcn

Why can't you just heat the pond its not to big and could be done then you could just put a raised cover over. :)

I can't just heat the water. Don't get me wrong, the turtles would love it but they wouldn't come out to bask and that'll lead to shell rot. I'm thinking a lean to style would work with the high end attached to my house. I think the biggest problem is going to be working it around the heat pump. Here's a picture from when it was not quite completed: http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/no...mk/74619dd4.jpg

Ok, looks good and keep us posted. I hope you find a solution. :)

Oh boy thats right next to the house isn't it. could you heat the water just enough so they dont dye when they hibernate?

Most reactions

Back