Building A Glass Tank!

Jebbwardo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to try and build my own glass tank I am getting the glass for free of 2 relatives who are window fitters and are giveing me glass that would just be thrown away I know the size of the tank depends on the thickness of the glass but does anyone have any tips on building a glass tank as this will be my first attempt. I know I need silicone, glass cutter, 90 degree angle, electrical tap or painting tape but would I need anything else?

EllieJellyEllie said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey This is the best DIY guy ever! I recomend you check out his channel
biggrin.png

+1,

actually... +10

Not sure if the video mentions it, but silicone has a very potent odour like super strong vinegar. Get a mask and glasses as it hurts your eyes too. I just resealed a tank, my first attempt. Nothing I read or watched said you have a fair window of time with silicone before it starts curing. Take your time when you seal the corners, after its been out together. Nice, straight, clean lines look way better than what I achieved. At least I know now. Finally, black silicone will show any imperfections up much more than clear. Once the tank is full most of the mistakes are less visible. I know this after I filled mine...

Haha I've been watching his videos the pas few days that's what made me want to do it! He makes it look so simple! And what thickness of glass do you think I will need to make a fairly large tank like maybe a 250-500 litres?

You'll need clamps to put it together, but not for sealing it. I don't have a lot if knowledge, but I'd say go as big as you can. Aside from bring able to scape it much better and add more fish, it's also easier to manage spikes etc in bigger tanks.

I will have someone who installs windows for a liveing helping me do it so I should be fine ill update you on it when I get the glass

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back