Builders Expanding Foam

Thedoctor

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Would it be safe to use builders expanding foam to create a 3d tank background or secure one in place?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

wouldnt like to say but having used it before at work i dont think id like to risk it , plus its a pig to work with . how big do you need to make? you could try the polystyrene sheets /knife/blowtorch method . or aquascape epoxy maybe .

i dont see why not but i think it would be easier to do it the polystyrene method myself. Definately something i want to try down the line.

Considering options for Making own Background for Jewel 125 and securing 3D background in 5 ft tank.

Considering coating polystyrene in Silicon sealant then covering in Black moon Tahiti sand too, this sound better?

I've just made and fitted a 3d background in my 72"x22"x30"h
I purchased two 25mm thick pink styrene sheets from my local building merchants 600mm x 2500mm
I then cut this into three so that I ended up with four bits 600 x 700 (Internal heigh of the tank)then on one of the 600 x 700 bits roughly draw some rock shapes, leaving gaps between.
Cut these out and rough up the edges.
Then using a candle I carefully melted and shaped the rocks to remove the squareness.
Then glue these onto the other 600 x 700 bit again leaving spaces between. I used adheseal adhesive to stick one to the other, expensive but very good,and black.
Leave back from the edge a bit so you can silicone around when fitted..
You can also melt and shape the back piece with the candle if required to give an uneven surface.
Now because I wanted to build in my filter pipes to the background I cut them into both the back sheet and the underside of the rocks before fixing, I then covered over the remaing visable pipe(rigid) with expanding foam, this does not go where you want it so I over did it a bit and tried to make it look a bit like a branch shape..
Then when dry and stuck I covered the whole thing in an epoxy resin (available on ebay) and as this was tacking up I then covered the whole thing in kiln dried sand (block paving sand) again from the building merchants.
Leave to set. when set lift up and all the un set sand falls of and you should be left with a sand rock background
Leave for 48hrs or so and stick to the back of your tank Or/and sides with silicone..
I decided to cover about three quarters of the back of the tank leaving a space so that it looks like the depths of the river.My tank back is painted black
Dont leave any square edges to the styrene apart from those that fit to the tank ie; bottom side and top if you have the flat braces to the top.
Ensure room temperature is 75/80 degrees when using the resin or it wont cure corectly.. silicone all the eges when sticking in the tank.
Hope that helps
Gary

Considering options for Making own Background for Jewel 125 and securing 3D background in 5 ft tank.

Considering coating polystyrene in Silicon sealant then covering in Black moon Tahiti sand too, this sound better?

to fix a background in simply use aquarium safe silicone . . i cant remember who it was but somebody did a thread recently where they covered foam with silicone and black sand . the effect was really nice .

heres the thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/351030-diy-rock-retaining-wall/

I ponder whether to use my builders stihl saw. I could cut the rocks so they are flat at the back and then just silicone them in place lol.

yeh I thouhgt about that but then went for the styrene option will take pictures tomorrow when camera is charged up :grr:

Builders expanding foam is nasty stuff if you get it on your skin, so i would say no to using it in a tank.

picture of my diy background, not all the plants are in yet but you get the idea.

Attachments

• P2140704.JPG
    P2140704.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 815
and another one end

and the other end

photos wrong way round :grr:

Attachments

• P2140699.JPG
    P2140699.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 594
  • P2140700.JPG
    P2140700.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 439
I wouldnt risk using expanding foam in a tank as it contains formaldehyde which will kill your fish...

I would look into getting a large styrofoam block, cut it to the shape you want and paint it with epoxy, this will seal it, then silicone it to the back of the tank, you could also cut holes and vents for heaters and filters to sit inside?

I've heard of other people using it without problems for dividers and such. But be warned the stuff is extremely buoyant.

Most reactions

Back