Bubbles On Aquarium Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LionessN3cubs

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had my 10 g tank set up for 5 days. Havent started cycling because I can't find pure ammonia ANYWHERE I've tried yet. Since the minute I poured water into it there have been bubbles stuck to the glass. Way WAY less now than at first, but still some on either end and a very few in the front. I'd read a post VAGUELY mentioning that these bubbles can get stuck on a fish's gills so here's my questions. What are they and how do I get rid of them. Thanks in advance!

Airstone should get rid of the bubbles faster, or increase flow on filter.
Normal for bubbles to be on the glass in a new filled tank.
You shouldn't add fish till the bubbles have gone.
[URL="http://www.flippersandfins.net/pop-eye.htm"]http://www.flippersandfins.net/pop-eye.htm[/URL]
Taken from the link.
Gas Bubble Disease is a result of supersaturation (excess levels) of the water with the gas, nitrogen. Supersaturation occurs whenever the pressure of a gas in the water is higher than the pressure of the same gas in the surrounding atmosphere. When there is this difference between gas pressures, the gas gets pulled too quickly out of the bloodstream, leaving gas bubbles behind. This is what happens to SCUBA divers who ascend too quickly and create a big difference in gas pressures, which leads to the diver getting gas bubble formation or the “bends”. In fish, gas bubbles can accumulate behind the eye, making it bulge outward.

Water in a newly filled tank will be supersaturated with gases and you will see the gas bubbles covering the inside of the tank. The more that the water is agitated as you are pouring it in for the first time, the less supersaturation you will have. Agitation of water releases gas from it. Normal aeration will speed up the time that it takes for this excess gas to leave the water. When the bubbles on the tank disappear, then it is safe to put your fish into the new water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back