"bubble" On Side Of Betta

Grr... I went out to find some clove oil but wasn't able to find any. Then I was struck with a migraine that started yesterday, so I haven't been able to do anything yet.
He's still hanging in there. He still gets so excited when he sees me come up to the tank, which breaks my heart. But when he doesn't see me he just lays on the bottom of the tank. He can't hardly swim to the surface anymore. :sad:

Grr... I went out to find some clove oil but wasn't able to find any. Then I was struck with a migraine that started yesterday, so I haven't been able to do anything yet.
He's still hanging in there. He still gets so excited when he sees me come up to the tank, which breaks my heart. But when he doesn't see me he just lays on the bottom of the tank. He can't hardly swim to the surface anymore. :sad:
Gee! those pics of your poor fish was down right heart breaking.... Don't put your fish down just yet because if he has Lymphocystis he will recover. Lymphocystis is a herpes virus...the tumor caused by this disease makes the lump look like a cauliflower and in some cases can grow to the size of an egg. Most fish recover from this but the problem is that it affects the fishs health. So you need to keep up with the water changes making his invironment pristine so he doesn't get other diseases but I recon you should hang in there with him. :good:

On a side note about clove oil...Wilkinsons sell it. Not sure where else do. You might have to get it over the counter if you can't see it on the shelf.

Do him daily water changes in the mean time just to give him one more chance x

Agree with Betta is Better. I really think its lympho and he should recover. The concern is secondary bacterial infection on that sore spot. Keep up with waterchanges. Lower water level if he needs it to make it easier to get air. Can think of using antibacterial med just until sore spot is not so red ( again the main concern is opportunistic secondary bac infection). Small bit of aquarium salt may be helpful in this case too.
all the best
cheers

Just an update: He's still freakin' holding on! I took your advice and decided to wait and see if it would clear up. Definitely hasn't. Every day I come downstairs and I swear he's dead, but oh no, he's still breathing. :sad: I won't include pictures- if you thought he looked bad before, you don't even want to see him now.
And yet he still eats like a lil' piggy.
I'm just keeping his tank clean and yes the water a little lower (with a place for him to rest like 1.5" from the top waterline so he doesn't have to hardly move to eat).
*sigh* poor Calculon!

Just an update: He's still freakin' holding on! I took your advice and decided to wait and see if it would clear up. Definitely hasn't. Every day I come downstairs and I swear he's dead, but oh no, he's still breathing. :sad: I won't include pictures- if you thought he looked bad before, you don't even want to see him now.
And yet he still eats like a lil' piggy.
I'm just keeping his tank clean and yes the water a little lower (with a place for him to rest like 1.5" from the top waterline so he doesn't have to hardly move to eat).
*sigh* poor Calculon!
Its been a month now since your last post and he's still hanging in there. He's telling you he doesn't want to go and is fighting it. Keep making sure he is comfortable and keep that tank clean we are all rooting for him to pull through. :good:

He might be uncomfortable with his lump and makes it difficult to swim. If he's eating still he's not dying. I wouldn't give up on him. Still keep that water clean. Have you researched lymphocystis? If not you should. May make you feel better. It looks aweful but should not kill the fish. Its secondary infection that may be the worrying bit. That's why its important to keep the water clean. Also don't overfeed if he is lessactive he needs less food. Every other day is sufficient. Don't think you are starving him. Some plants that reach the surface may be a good idea as will make him feel secure and allow him to rest near the surface.
hang in there...I know its not easy to see them in such a state. I've dealt with lympho myself.
All the best!
Cheers :)

Just saw this post and I have my fingers crossed for you! He looks like a gem - I truly hope he pulls through for you!

I think you're probably right about it being lymphocystis. It's quite advanced, so I'm sure it's very uncomfortable for him to swim. He hasn't been moving hardly at all this week, and he hasn't eaten in three or four days (And yep, I was already only feeding him every other day). I know I read that they should recover if there's no secondary infection.
He really has gotten emaciated and he's losing his color, and he doesn't move at all at this point. His tank is clean, but because of his fragile state, I'm just going to leave him be for a week or so... I don't want to stress him out any more than he already is. I would be very very surprised if he recovered. :sad:
Ugh, this has drawn out for months and months. There's nothing like watching your fish suffer for this long.

Have just read the whole thread as i was quite interested. I dont have anything to add, but you seem to have one hardnut fish :)

Fair play to the little guy for soldiering on! :)

All the best..

If ur in the US yoy can try antibiotic meds just in case of secondary infectiin is cropping up. Get a pack of maracyn and a pack of maracyn 2...can mix the meds and will cover both gram neg and gram pos. Bacteria ( cover your bases)... I'm normally not an advocate for blatantly using antibiotics but might be necessary. If in uk I'm not really all that good with what's available as far as antibiotic- like meds...I know you can't get theM OTC.
if he's wasting feed more, especially high protein like bloodworm. Frozen is best but if you only have freezedried make sure you soak them until soft before you feed or can lead to constipation which can be dangerous, esp. Given his inactivity.
just a tip. Sorry youre in this situation :(
cheers

No need to now. When I woke up today he was gone.
At least he's not suffering anymore.
r.i.p. Calculon!

No need to now. When I woke up today he was gone.
At least he's not suffering anymore.
r.i.p. Calculon!
:-( Sorry sorry sorry to hear he has passed away....he was a true little fighter and you did your best to try and get him back on his feet so to speak. None of us like to see our little mates suffer and putting him down before hand would have left doubt in my mind as to whether he would have recovered. If I felt there was hope to save my fish then I will try every possible thing to get him to recover and its only when I am dead certain there is absolutly no way they are going to make it....then I would think of putting it down.....and I've never done that yet. Once again my sincere condolences for the loss of your little mate.

Most reactions

Back