Browning Plant?

Banafish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have this plant in my tank which is currently in a silent cycle. The lower leaves of the plant (I don't know the species, maybe someone could help identify it) are browning, should I prune them? Also the lower leaves of my hornwort are kind of wilting, is this because they aren't getting enough light because they are blocked by the upper leaves? Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 14
need a better picture of the plant on the left (1st picture)

2nd picture the plant is called Ambulia

need a better picture of the plant on the left (1st picture)

2nd picture the plant is called Ambulia

Ok thanks, what should I do if the lower leaves of my ambulia are kind of wilting?

Attachments

• 9F4EA291-90E6-4B70-8447-1B86496E06B2.jpeg
    9F4EA291-90E6-4B70-8447-1B86496E06B2.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 30D9E839-B792-46EB-AD1E-63853A6F2113.jpeg
    30D9E839-B792-46EB-AD1E-63853A6F2113.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 3CD00766-BCDE-4FC8-AE08-9E93E0D8F978.jpeg
    3CD00766-BCDE-4FC8-AE08-9E93E0D8F978.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
Your water paramaters look good, do you use any fertalizers in your aquarium? How long do you keep your aquarium light on per day?
I use Flourish and Flourish Excel. I have my white aquarium light on for 10hrs a day, but recently I've experienced some algae growth so I reduced it to 9hrs. I used to keep my blue light on for the entire night (I thought it resembled moonlight so I kept it on for the entire night), but now I don't use it. This was just starting today haha.

Also in regards to the Ambulia, should I prune off the tops and replant them so the bottom leaves aren't as ratty? Thanks

Yes you can remove the dead leaves, it will help the plant concentrate on making new ones. Has it been in the tank long? It may just be adjusting to being under water as many aquarium plants are actually grown emerged

Are there some plants that excel can "melt". I don't understand the process, just read it somewhere.

Are there some plants that excel can "melt". I don't understand the process, just read it somewhere.

Yes. Vallisneria is particularly vulnerable. I believe mosses have trouble. Glutaraldehyde, a highly toxic disinfectant. Most here know I do not advise using this or any algicide. My opinion.

I use Flourish and Flourish Excel. I have my white aquarium light on for 10hrs a day, but recently I've experienced some algae growth so I reduced it to 9hrs. I used to keep my blue light on for the entire night (I thought it resembled moonlight so I kept it on for the entire night), but now I don't use it. This was just starting today haha.
The plants could be browning because you do not use your bluelight anymore. I would start using it again for at least 6 hours per day.

I don't think the blue LEDs are any help. Plants need red and blue to photosynthesize, and red is the more critical.

White light that is high in red, blue and gree, around 5000K-6500K promotes the best plant growth. Nine hours is still a lot, but if the intensity isn't adequate duration cannot make up for it. And stem plants do grow fast which means more intense light and more nutrients.

Blue light at night is not advisable. Plants cannot use it, but algae will, guaranteed. And fish have issues with blue light, they need total darkness.

Yes you can remove the dead leaves, it will help the plant concentrate on making new ones. Has it been in the tank long? It may just be adjusting to being under water as many aquarium plants are actually grown emerged
So I can remove the leaves of both plants? They have been in there since the 26th of July. I remember buying them submerged though...

Most reactions

trending

Back