Brown Wavy-hair Algae

IcQb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have a serious algae problem and i cannot find this type of algae anywhere (at least: not where i looked)
But they take over my tanganyika tank every 2-4 weeks.

I haven't been able to get pictures yet (need to do that asap...)

The algae have a brown-dark reddish look and grow up to 5-10cm long, in what almost looks like wavy supermodel-hair!...
They are attached to various surfaces, but generally detach very easily. They stick together very well and do not spread out in small particles into the water.

The problem seems to have started after i changed one day tube to a actinic blue light (to see the blue on my fishies better :p)
I've taken out the tube after 4months of battling, but the algae havent gone away since (now +6 months)

Also on the glass: green window algae and very very tiny (very little) green spot algae.

water qualities:
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <10
dH: 24
pH: 8-8.5

water changes: every week 30%
filter: juwel 450 standard filter (bio 8.0) filled with: in ->out: rough cotton, rough blue sponge, fine blue sponge, 4 layers syntrax bioload balls, fine blue sponge
extra filter: largest jbl potfilter (e1500, 12l) , filled with: in->out: rough blue, rough blue, fine blue, syntrax bioload balls, fine blue, fine blue.

lights on: (juwel nature and day 2*2) 6h per day full (half hour before and after only 2 tubes)
also: 1h before and after (overlapping): blue ledlights.

Fish in the tank: 7 Frontosa 1-2 years old, largest = 20cm, also 4 syno petricola.

Tank has lots of malaysian trumpet snails, which i battle with 3-4 assassin snails (for fun :p)

thank you for reading through my mess :)

as i mentioned ^^: not yet, need to do that...

I just cleaned them all out by hand again... maybe there's some left...

Finally: pictures :D

20121211183835.jpg

20121211183820.jpg

Any guesses?

[background=rgb(250, 246, 237)]Rhizoclonium[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 246, 237)]Increase flow, CO2 fluctuations don't help.[/background]

I think there's ample flow with the extra filtre
plus, my fishies won't apreciate more flow...

i'm also not too keen on adding CO2 since it will mess with my pH and my aquarium needs to stay at slightly higher pH,
also, there's almost no plants in there...

I thought rhizoclonium were green :D? didn't know they came in red also...

The other stuff is black brush algae and staghorn, caused by fluctuating co2, are you water changing with lights on?

Yes, because otherwise i can't see enough to suck them away :/

I've started doing more waterchanges in between in the dark...

I thought staghorn and BBA were almost impossible to remove by hand? whereas 'my' algae let loose whenever the waterhose comes near...

Is there a way to combat them without starting up a CO2 system?

You can spray it with a excel/water mixture 1:20 ratio, put in spray bottle, drop water to expose it to air then spray mix on it with fine mist, refill tank and it should turn dark red and die. After that only do water changes after or before photo period as with lights on the CO2 boost from the tap water will cause more algae. If done with lights off the CO2 will gas off before lights on, so I suggest after lights out or 3 hours before lights on.

Would cutting back light also help? going from 4 T5 to 2 T5 bulbs?

also; is there a way to treat underwater? :)
As i can't get all the fish out without major rescaping :/

Also, i've noticed those crudpy algae produce oxygen like crazy o_O
i thought it was air trapped in the algae-strands, but they produce it :/

Yeah some algae can photo synthesise, you can slightly overdose the tank with excel but it will tank a while to clear, cutting back lighting always helps but this type takes ages to clear.

one day before receiving your tips,
my LFS guy told me to try and remove phosphates from the system.
the smaller hairs seem to go gray and look awfull!

I'm, going to nuke them with phosvec, lower lighting and excell!

by the way; are there other brands, excell-like?( that are easier to get in Belgium ^^?)

You can probably get EasyCarbo from Easylife in Belgium.
If you're going down the starving algae route be sure to get rid of your plants as them dying will add to/change up your algae issues.

IMO

just bought easy carbo :D
In what dilution should i spray the algae?

Also, should i add some in the water (i won't be able to reach all the algae spots.)

1:20 carbon/water spray it on while exposed to air, I'd doa bit at a time or you'll have a major overdose in the tank and it may cause fish deaths.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back