Brown On Tank Sides

Diatoms, caused from ammonia and light, new tank?

yes the tank is new but has no ammonia yet the light is new how can i get rid of it ?

There is ammonia present somewhere, only way to get diatoms. Clean it off and get the filter cycled, then it shouldn't come back.

All the test come up negative for it, and the filter's fully cycled would a flying fox help combat it ?

TBH its prob caused by ammonia undetectable by test kit, doesn't take much tbh. Is the tank near a window or getting direct sunlight?

I suggest you check your test kit is working, It only shows up in new tanks with ammonia like Steveo said. The only way to get rid of it is to have no ammonia and less light.

thanks i'll cut down the light time and try to get rid of the ammonia thanks guys

Alex

If your filter is cycled it will deal with it, might be slowly but it will do it.

Im no expert but ive had diatoms before and found just keep up with water changes add a B/N catfish (if suitable in your setup) and soon the brown stuff is gone.

Remember though keep up with waterchanges because even if the B/N eats all the algae theres still something causing the brown stuff that you can't actually cant see in your water but is present.

i'll try an alegea eater then,i can't really do water changes at the moment though
sad.png

Additionally to the previous suggestions, low flow can contribute to the diatoms even after the filter is cycled and light reduced.
Depending on the tank, consider adding a powerhead temporary or permanently if you wish or at least a powerful air pump for a while if you have it. A second or more powerful filter would be best.
Regardless, if that's not the cause the diatoms should eventually disapper as the tank matures.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back