Brown Dusty / Dirt Looking Stuff...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
It has invaded my tank, and has covered everything! My plants are not happy and neither am I. It is even suspended in the water now. It is filling and killing my filter too. I am having to clean out my filter every day to keep it running. That is a lot of work! (not to mention that it is really ugly!)

Some one said... diatoms?... Is that right? What can I do about it? Water changes are not helping! It is getting worse!

Help me please! Is there a way to stop this stuff?

It has really low light... will more light help? If not... what will?
Is there something that eats it?

Thanks for helping!

Ottos are supposed to make short work of that stuff...Is your tank newly set up?

About 2 months. It just keeps getting worse instead of better though. How long does it take for it to start going away? I have never had a tank do this before.
What causes it?
How do I get rid of it?
It is driving me crazy. Will it hurt my plants? They don't get much light as it is. I have less than 1wpg right now. With this covering them I am afraid they may die.
I am going to get some ottos, but it is still going to be a little while before I can.
What can I do for now?

Thanks for helping :good:

Brown dusty looking stuff sounds like it just the debris from the gravel. Have you been moving and messing around with the gravel? It is often the case , it shouldn't be a problem. just let it settle into the gravel.

I don't have pics, but it looks like dirt. I blow it off with a turkey baster as much as I can, and I added an extra filter. That is helping some. I will try to get a pic later... when we get home.

Some of the plants are growing and some aren't.

I dose with seachem flourish and trace and excel. ( very lightly ) It is a very low light tank. I have a new light ordered, but I won't get it for about a week.

The stuff just keeps multiplying! It is starting to stick to some of the plants now where it won't just blow off any more.

There is too much light to take pics right now. I will try tonight.

Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back