Brown Algea In New Setup

kashifg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently setup my tank as a planted setup, been nearly 2 weeks now since being cycled fishless. i have brown/almost rust like algea growing on a few leaves. any ideas what would be causing this? the plants were added during the cycle period.

My intention was always to keep this low tech. lighting is 1wpg and i dose an all in one fert from 'aquariumplantfoodUK' twice a week.
Plants are Vallis/Java Fern/Crypts/Anubia/Hornwort/Moss.

Attachments

• IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 65
In which case I have a problem, as thier is quite a few plants developing this problem. What could be causing this?
Could it be the lack of co2? I was under the impression that this was not really going to be required due to my low light levels.
Also, I'm only dosing ferts twice a week to keep costs down, would this cause problems?

How long are your lights on for? Remove the dead leaves as they will be releasing ammonia into the aquarium.

It may be that they have previously been grown emmersed before you got them so the leaves are dying off as they adjust to being submersed.

Also, is the Anubias tied to wood/rock or is it planted in the substrate?

How long are your lights on for? Remove the dead leaves as they will be releasing ammonia into the aquarium.

It may be that they have previously been grown emmersed before you got them so the leaves are dying off as they adjust to being submersed.

Also, is the Anubias tied to wood/rock or is it planted in the substrate?

Lights are on for 8 hours. Anubia/fern/moss are all tied to rocks/wood. Not only the anubia is affected, ive just noticed that this is also spreading to the crypts. some leaves have gone black as well.
i have a bottle of easy carbo, which is unopened. Would this help, if i started to make use of this?
i just thought with my lighting being so low, that co2 wouldnt be required.

i have read that with a new tank setup, their is bound to be algea in the start until the tank matures/settles. so im not sure if this is the reason for causing the bloom or if its something else.

It is usually diatoms that affect new setups, which are easily wiped off.

I'm unsure whether carbon would help, i guess you could dose a small amount daily and then the relevat plant food accordingly.

The Crypts will probably be suffering melt due to them adjusting to your water conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back