BROWN ALGE HELP PLEASE

dano_15

Reaction score
HI my name is daniel and my tank is being taken over by Brown alge it makes my tank look awfull the glass is brown and so is the gravell i just wont to know how i can controll it or get rid off it do i have to have the light on longer or less do i have to clean it more since i got brown alge i have been cleaning once a week please help me also does anyone have any good sights where i can read up on plants im looking to buy ELODEA :unsure:

:) :) :) Thanks for reading and i hope i can help you guys one day :) :) :)

dano_15 said:
HI my name is daniel and my tank is being taken over by Brown alge it makes my tank look awfull the glass is brown and so is the gravell i just wont to know how i can controll it or get rid off it do i have to have the light on longer or less do i have to clean it more since i got brown alge i have been cleaning once a week please help me also does anyone have any good sights where i can read up on plants im looking to buy ELODEA :unsure:

:) :) :) Thanks for reading and i hope i can help you guys one day :) :) :)
It would be better to now a few more specifics on your water chemistry (your pH, KH, GH, amonia, nitrites, nitrate, ect. levels, water additives like ph buffers & what not) & tank load (number of fish) before I hazard a guess... but I do you probably have an elevated nitrate or phospate problem. It also could be due to too many watts per gallon (should be about 2-3 watts per gallon). However I will assume you have the light situation under control and I'll concentrate more on the other issues that could be causing this.

First of all you need to know what you are getting out of the tap before a really effective means of control can be done. For example, my tap water changed a lot a few months ago.... GH & KH is higher now along with 30ppm of nitrates as opposed to approx. 10ppm nitrates prior to this. Check you tap water first... and if it's high in levels of nitrates and phospates, then you are probably going to have to do like I am - getting an RO/DI unit.

Next test the tank... if the tank levels of nitrates & phosphates are elevated then frequent water changes can help (25% to 50% every other day for a week) or using a nitrate or phosphate sponge in your filter media can bring these down... but in order to really control it you have to find the cause. If you have a large bio load on the tank (lots of fishies) then you might want to consider taking a few back to the lfs. Also, you may want to consider using a UV sterilizer to kill the algae spores in the water.

In the end game - it's all going to depend on you being able to test the water to see what imbalance exists and then taking what steps you can (and what your budget can afford) to control/cure the problem. I feel ya, cause I'm going through a similar situation with brown algae. My RO/DI unit, UV sterilizer, and testing stuff are on their way to the house right now to be used for my new tank - which I just picked up today :) .

Best of luck :fish:

Mark K...

That was an awesome reply Sn8k. However you forgot to ask one question...That would be is this a new tank? A majority of new tanks go threw the brow algae as a part of settleing down either during the cycling process or shortly after. If it's a new tank it'll clear up eventually till then just wipe it off when it needs it.

Rose

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back