brown algae

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

dwarfgourami

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Please help! :(

I am getting towards the end of the fishless cycles of my 2 tanks: Juwel Rekord 60 and Juwel Rekord 70 (both with 4-5 live plants in them and standard lights)-
and they are covered in brown algae. The gravel in particular but it's spreading to the plants. I have heard that this is a new tank problem.

What can I do? I won't have room for a pleco in those small tanks and I don't think my lfs sells otos.

Also, should I be feeding the plants by now? (Have an assortment of plants including java fern and water wisteria.)

brown algae is actually diatoms ( a slightly higher life form than algea)
increase the light levels, either add more light of keep the current one on for longer.
apple snails will eat algea if you what to go down that road, otherwise it is scrubbing and more scrubbing.

The-Wolf said:
increase the light levels, either add more light of keep the current one on for longer.
I had the same problem with my 75 gallon. I was able to vacuum quite a bit of it off when I did the big water change. I now have it in my established 29 gallon tank. I'm beginning to think it came with plants that I ordered (the other tank has plants from the same place). I have been trying to REDUCE the lighting. Is this a type bacteria that light will kill? I just bought 5 amano shrimp yesterday in hopes that they would start cleaning it up.

Same problem here.

Scrubbing seams to be my only option.

although less light seams to slow the productuion down in my tank.

Also mine only grows on the front, back and gravel but not the sides of the tank.

how bizzare.

Most reactions

Back