Brown Algae

srm1973

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a question about brown algae, lightly planted my tank about about 6 weeks ago and then added more plants about 3 weeks ago. The plants have shown a bit of growth but are covered in brown algae which looks terrible. I added a young bristlenose plec last week and he's done a great job cleaning my amazon swords, I understand brown algae/diatoms will die off eventually but does it then come off the plants? Or will I be left with plants covered in dead brown algae? Thanks

I remember when I first set up my tank I had the same problem and once the diatom bloom settled down (about a month or two) it was fine and somehow it all magically disappeared. I didnt even have an algae eater either. So I would just be patient. I know it looks horrible but it takes sometime for everything in the aquarium to stabilize and look nice :) I've just set up my new aquarium and I can see signs of the diatom bloom starting...and DREADING what it will look like in the coming weeks! :(

Just have to ride it out unfortunately. Your fish will help, but not on all your plants. Your swords are easier to clean because of the size of the leaves. Hope I've helped some what...

This'll save me from making another thread, same problem but had it for months.

Lighting is on roughly 6-8 hours, low level lighting too.
Stopped dosing ferts about a month ago.
running diy co2 but had the problem before the diy co2.
50-70% weekly water changes.

It did start to clear up but then..... :sick:
Any ideas? :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back