Brown Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yea, it's algae. You can just scrub it off with tank water when you do a water change. :)

You might want to get an algae eater. I have a really small pleco that does a great job in my 20g he cleans the glass rocks and live plants. Also have a bristle nose cat in a 10G and don't have any problems.

Sounds like diatoms, which are similar to algae. It is associated with high nutrient levels and relatively low light conditions and is very common with cycling tanks (the algae thrives on ammonia). It's only really a cosmetic problem. You could increase the light in your tank, but the side-effect may be green algae instead. Basically you need to get your nutrient levels down in your tank which means regular partial water changes.

If you have live plants, definitely increase the amount of light as that will enable the plants to use up all the nutrients and "out compete" the algae.

There are various algae eating fish around that might be considered, if you have room. They include corys, dwarf plecs, mollies, barbs and SAEs. Avoid CAEs - they grow up to be vicious and large. Apple snails and ornamental shrimps can also eat brown algae and since they don't have the bioload of more fish, are a good alternative if your tank is fully stocked.

Hmmm. I have some pretty small fish, if I was to get an algae eater I would want something small so it wouldn't out grow my guppies and eat them because I am just a little bit fond of them. And I heard that mollies (while algae eaters) need brackish water and that wouldn't be good for my other fish would it? I am confused now, I just wanted to get rid of this algae that looks like ...... well I won't get into that. :crazy:

Mollies wouldn't eat your guppies. In fact, they get on well. Guppies also like a bit of salt in their water.

Guppymonkey,

I think I am developing the same thing! What nutrient are we having too much of, and what do we do to take them away besides getting an algae eater?

i want to add 2 upside down catfish, do they eat algae?

I agree it does look bad. :sly:

bdktty67 said:
I think I am developing the same thing! What nutrient are we having too much of, and what do we do to take them away besides getting an algae eater?
Generally the nutrients that create algae are ammonia, nitrate and phosphate. Hopefully, once your tank is cycled ammonia isn't a problem any more, but nitrate and phosphate can be big problem, especially in some areas where the tap water is heavily contaminated (this is particularly true if you live in farming areas).

You can reduce phosphates and ammonia by using expensive chemicals (Phosphozorb, Nitrazord etc), by using RO water rather than tap water and/or by having plenty of fast-growing live plants to use up the phosphate and ammonia, thus out-competing the algae. A somewhat more sophisticated and unusual solution (if you have plant eating cichlids or goldfish) is to have a hydroponic sump which grows plants in water taken off the tank, uses up the nutrients in the water and then pumps it back into the tank again.

At the moment I'm going for the ordinary, fast-growing plants solution - I've recently added CO2 to make that even more efficient. Ultimately, I hope to get an RO unit.

Good. Thanks again for the ino. Can you give me a name of a fast growing plant So I can go to my LFS and ask for something specific? Also, How will I know how to care for this plant. Will it be compatible with all these type of fish (neon tetras, upside down catfish, and rosy barbs?)

My amonia was at zero, but I might have a trace amount of nitrite. Maybe that is causing the problem. :(

I really appreciate this info. :D Oh yeah... what is a "RO"?

Hi bdktty67. The easiest fast growing plant you could ask for is ceratophyllum, or hornwort. It floats on the surface of the water, so you don't even have to plant it. Other good ones are vallisneria and microsorium (java fern). The val you'd have to plant, but the java fern does best when anchored to a rock or piece of wood. Simply wrap an elastic band around the plant and the rock/wood. Soon it will attach itself and the elastic will long since have been covered by green growth.

RO = Reverse Osmosis

Get some pleco's, regardless of how much bigger they are they wont disturb your other fish, they eat algae and only algae!

B)

Plecos can grow really big though can't they? I don't want a huge fish. It will probably outgrow my tank and I really don't have room for a bigger tank right now. Plus it would probably scare my guppies (although they might be too dumb to scare :p ). What I want is a tiny algae eater. Mollies look too much like my swordtails and guppies, I want some variety.

I also want to get live plants. Will most algae eaters strip the plants?

guppymonkey said:
Plecos can grow really big though can't they? I don't want a huge fish.

What I want is a tiny algae eater. Mollies look too much like my swordtails and guppies, I want some variety.

I also want to get live plants. Will most algae eaters strip the plants?
Plecos can be very large - Common Plecos can grow to 2.5 ft, but there are many dwarf varieties, such as the bristlenosed and clown plecs who rarely grow more than 4" long. They eat green and brown algae, but don't eat plants.

Corys also eat algae and are small shoaling fish. There are various kinds, including the diminutive pygmy cory which is about 1.5" long.

The only species of fish that will eat hair/beard algae is the Siamese Algae Eater. They are lovely fish but need space - 30 gal minimum. They are about 5" long and like to be in groups.

As I've said before, you could also consider golden apple snails or shrimps, of which the snails are the least aggressive.

I will have to look for a pygmy cory or something like that. I noticed that my guppies are eating some of the brown algae. Didn't know they would do that.

If I get live plants will there be less algae growth?

I bought a fast growing plant last night and I'n soaking it in water that came from my last water change. Does that sound like the thing to do? Instead of just dumping it into the tank with all that LFS water in it. It is the kind that floats on top. Again, I hope someone can answer the question of if upside down catfish eat algae (brown or green.) My Rosy barbs are seeming to eat at it too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back