Brown Algae On Plants

Simon 123

Reaction score
Hi, im sure this topic has been posted before but i have no time to search for it.

Ok so my question is this:

I have a newly set up tank and it is just finishing a fishless cycle and i have noticed a lot of hair algae (which doesent bother me too much), what does bother me is brown algae growing on the plants, so i was hoping that someone could give me the names of some fish that will happily eat this off the plants with out damaging the plant itself.

I have some plecos in an existing tank (RED, CLOWN and a rusty pleco) but these seem to destroy any plant i put in with them..

So any suggestion for the brown algae and the hair algea. I was thinking about amano shrimp but wasent sure if they would eat brown algae off the plants.

it is a well planted 55g tank by the way

Thankyou

otto's will graze on it without damaging the plants. not sure if amano shrimp will i'd guess so but not sure. what you are describing is pretty normal in a new set up. water changes should help. do 20% every 4 days by the time you've done 4 or 5 your tank will look a whole load different. (if you can be bothered that is)

Thanks for the help, im gonna get some ottos on saturday and ill do 20% water changes every week..

just remember to acclimatise the ottos carefully. They are sensitive to changes but once established are a great little fish.

Yeah ottos are great, unfortunately only 1 out of 3 i buy survive the first month.

Don't get otos if your tank is new. Besides, algae always grows in new tanks. It should die down once the tank is a little more mature. Otos are not a good fish to begin a tank with and need a mature tank with fresh algae. Wait at least 6 months before you get any or I would expect many deaths. While you are waiting, gently remove the algae from the plants by hand and change the water more often than just once a week. Feed less and reduce the hours of light to a maximum of 8. If you are careful, your plants should take hold and manage to out-compete most of the algae. An algae scraper will do the rest :)

I had brown algea when i first set up and i did put 3 ottos in very early before it was properly matured. i might have been lucky and all 3 servived no probs! they ate the brown stuff very quickly and it hasnt been back since. Like already mentioned i think most new tanks get brown algea and it just seems to stop in a couple of weeks. I find hair algea a much bigger problem :angry:

Would the Otto's eat the hair algea on the gravel? Sorry for my noobiness but its been awhile since ive set up a tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back