Brown Algae Consistent Problem

I would lower your photosynthesis period to 6 hours until you have this under control. I would also increase water changes up to around 30-50% and stop cleaning the filter. That will probably be doing more harm than good. On average, i clean my internals around once a month and my externals every 2-3.

As mentioned, stirring up the gravel will cause spikes in ammonia and nitrite and eventually nitrate. If you're cleaning your filter every week then the spike won't be dealt with efficiently which is when the algae strikes.

Increasing plant mass will also help as will dosing a general fertiliser.

Good luck.

Ok, thanks guys.
Think I need some sort of plan for the next couple of weeks/months so...

Clean filter once per month
Use purigen filter media
30-50% water change once per week
Reduce lighting to 6hrs per day

Does that sound like a good enough plan? If not...please revise.

Thanks again!

That's a good start as its defo ammonia spikes your getting. Make sure you clean the filter in some old tank water or cool clean water, if you clean it in hot water then you'll kill the bacteria.

You may want to add a secondary power head to ensure that there is adequate flow too.

Also to add to what Steve said, if you do choose the 'cool clean water' route to clean your filter, ensure it is dechlorinated first. :good: I would just go with old tank water though.

How often are you feeding?

Your list looks good. Purigen is excellent stuff, the water clarity is immense when using this stuff.

I've just done some reading on power heads as I've never used one before. Seem's fairly straight forward though. May have to pick one up at my next visit to the LFS.

I have always cleaned my filter in old tank water from day one so will continue to do so.

Feeding once per day, in the evening, and just enough to be consumed within 5 minutes.

I did also notice last night that, whilst the tank is not in direct sunlight, it is near a window, where light can get through between the curtain and wall. I have now closed this gap off, whether or not that does any good I don't know - but just wanting to cover all bases really.

Natural sunlight can play havoc with aquariums. Good call.

Powerheads are super easy. Have a look on ebay, you can find some right bargains.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back