Breeding mBunas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikea

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about breeding Electric Yellow Labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) and Electric Blue Johannis (Melanochromis johanni). I would like to keep 1 male and 4-5 females of each in a 125 gallon tank. My plan is to move the brooding mother into another (55g hex) tank until she spits the fry, then raise them in that tank until they're an acceptable size.

My question is this: Will these fish mate with one another? I would rather not have "Electric Green Labanis" :)

Given that these fish do not cross breed, and I end up with pure Johannis and Labidos, What is the usual practice? I notice at the LFS around here they sell 1.5-2" juvies for around $10 ea. I'm planning on raising the fry to about 1" and selling them to the local fish stores for about $1 ea. Would this be fair? too much? too little? I'm not looking to get rich here. I think these fish are the most beautiful I've ever seen. I would like to use the money to contribute to my aquatic supplies

- Mike

It's true, they will not cross breed. If the store is selling them for 10 each and your fry are of good quality, I think 3-4 bucks each is more in order. Just a note though....I have been breeding Labs for about a year now and the fry take about 9 months to get to 1.5". That is in a 90 gallon tank. Good luck and have fun! Melanchromis Johannis are gonna be such cute babies!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back