Breeding Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Mom13

Reaction score
Hi everyone...new to site...Hope I am doing this right.....

Does anyone know if I breed a pale yellow body with white fins male to a all white with a little red tint to her female what my chances will be of getting pure whites?

Attachments

• Juneau & Mary Jane Watson 001.jpg
    Juneau & Mary Jane Watson 001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 106
Fish colour genetics are quite complicated, but usually you need all white parents to get all white fry.

You might be lucky, but the nearer to all white the parents are, the better your chances.

Fish colour genetics are quite complicated, but usually you need all white parents to get all white fry.

You might be lucky, but the nearer to all white the parents are, the better your chances.
Thank you for replying.... I hope I can get them.... Also I cannot tell what type of female Mary Jane is... Juneau is an Elephant Ear.... Is there any logic to my thinking that i'll be able to get more Elephant Ears?

Hi

What are you going to do with the fry? Do you have the room and equipment to house up to 100 fry?

This would be a typical breeding set up as the fry need to be separated especially the males. Usually at about 6 weeks old.

Zroom2.jpg

I am not against people breeding fish but if you intend to do it get high grade breeding stock, there are too many pet shop quality fish out there already.

I am not a fan of lets put a male and female in the same tank and see what happens.

Hi

What are you going to do with the fry? Do you have the room and equipment to house up to 100 fry?

This would be a typical breeding set up as the fry need to be separated especially the males. Usually at about 6 weeks old.

Zroom2.jpg

I am not against people breeding fish but if you intend to do it get high grade breeding stock, there are too many pet shop quality fish out there already.

I am not a fan of lets put a male and female in the same tank and see what happens.
SO MANY JARS :eek:

I appreciate everyone's concern about if I have the room, space etc...I can assure you that I do. I own my own home and have a room dedicated to this, I also have a pet shop that is going to take the babies once I can sex them. I may be new to this site, but I am not new to caring for animals.

Thank you for replying.... I hope I can get them.... Also I cannot tell what type of female Mary Jane is... Juneau is an Elephant Ear.... Is there any logic to my thinking that i'll be able to get more Elephant Ears?

If you don't know what your female is, you can't breed elephant ears; although the fry might look like elephant ears, they'll be mongrels.

It's just like with dogs or cats, or any other animal; if you want to produce a specific type or breed, you have to start out with parents of that type, else you're just breeding mongrels, however much they might resemble a pure bred specimen.

I would back up Nick's advise; if you're going to all the time and trouble to breed, get yourself some high quality stock, of the variety you want, rather than making do with what you have; and that's no slight on your fish, they're lovely! Just like a dog from a shelter can be gorgeous, and look like a German Shepherd, if you don't have the bloodlines and pedigree, it can only ever be classed as a mongrel or crossbreed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back