breeding bettas

honeybee0_90

Reaction score
when breeding bettas in a tank of there own what kind of filter, heater and temp is reccomended and do i have to have a lid with a light

You should have a sponge filter in a betta breeding tank - for later on when there are babies in it. :) You need a gang valve for it too, so you can control the airflow. As for a heater, it depends on what size tank you're breeding them in, but probably a 25 watt. The temp should be about 80 - 82.

Before you breed, please consider what you're going to do with upwards of 100 to 500 baby bettas?? -_- They will all need to be seperated when they start to show aggression - do you have room to have all those fish in jars? Just things to consider... :thumbs:

juliethegr8t said:
You should have a sponge filter in a betta breeding tank - for later on when there are babies in it. :) You need a gang valve for it too, so you can control the airflow. As for a heater, it depends on what size tank you're breeding them in, but probably a 25 watt. The temp should be about 80 - 82.

Before you breed, please consider what you're going to do with upwards of 100 to 500 baby bettas?? -_- They will all need to be seperated when they start to show aggression - do you have room to have all those fish in jars? Just things to consider... :thumbs:
in the past, i have not used a sponge filter until the fry are well on their way. this time around i used a small circular bottom filter right from the start and everything went fine. i have been able to keep the male in longer that usual too as the tank is covered with paper and he doesn't feel threatened with prying eyes. the fry are now dropping from the nest and swimming up on their own, i'll probably get the male out tomorrow as he is looking tired and i'm sure he is hungry. he has done a noble job though. as for lighting, in the past i have kept a light on 24 hours a day in the beginning but have come to realize that it isn't necessary as in the wild they deal with daylight and night equally. in the past i have covered the top with sarran wrap to keep conditions humid but this time around i will just loosly cover the top so things can breath, this will keep the water fresher for longer as proper water changes will be a few weeks away. breeding bettas is all trial and error in the beginning. i have had a number of sucessful breeding attempts now and i learn something new every time ;) julie is right about planning for when the fry get a little bigger and have to be seperated. i am lucky in that my wife isn't allowed to work legally yet and has been able to stay at home and take care of the bettas when i am at work but be warned, it is time consuming, especially when you start having to do water changes to 30+ jars twice weekly, not including grow out tank etc. ;)

another thing to remember... betta breeding isnt easy... the chance of getting and raising even 100 fry is rare :D

just look at me im hopeless :D

thanx for your advice guys, ive already found a home for em and ive not even bred the parents yet, i have a friend that works in a local petshop so i can trade em

thankyou :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back