Breeding Bettas

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Videl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would a 5 gallon tank be a suitable size tank to breed my bettas. I already know a bit of the basics in breeding, temperature, planted tank, styrofome cup for bubble nesting etc but i am having trouble to find which filter to use and if to use it. I have a Mini submersible power filter for my 5 gal and i am just wondering if it would disrupt the spawning, breeding and rearing of my bettas. Will the filter be to strong for the small fry? Will the filter suck up the eggs or will the eggs be safely secured inside the bubble nest under the styrofome cup? The filter creates a small current but would a lot of plants slow or lessen the current so my fry or betta eggs would not be blown around or get sucked in the filter?
One more thing, i already have a male betta, filter and thermometer. Is it nessassary to put in a heater because down under (Australia), its warm and getting warmer since summer is coming up soon and i think the water will reach 80 degrees F/26 degrees celcius even without the heater. Since i already have the male betta, after i buy a female, should i put it in the tank (filter and all) with my male after it has finished building his bubble nest and the temp. and Ph is right or should i put the female in a see through container so that my male and female betta will get excited and spawn right away after i put her in the tank together with the male? Sorry for all the questions and thankyou for any responses?

a 5g would be great for the initial spawn, but the fry will have to be moved once they are a couple weeks old. i would recommend a 20g, but if ur spawn is larger a 30g would be more appropriate. i dont recommend useing a filter at all untill the fry are roughly guppy fry sized, probably 1 month. untill then id just use a bubbler with 1 bubble a second as not to blow the fish around too much.

Most reactions

Back